Responsible for the strategic direction, overall management, administration, and delivery of all fundraising, special events and volunteer activities supporting the mission and objectives of Second Harvest. Develops the strategic plan, goals, and budgets for (and manages) all aspects of fundraising, direct mail, major gifts, planned giving, corporate relations, cause marketing promotions, and capital campaigns. Develops the goals and budgets for (and manages) all special events and volunteer efforts. Responsible for ongoing strategic analysis of, and performance against, departmental performance metrics. Works in close collaboration with the CEO, Board of Directors, Marketing and Communications department, and members of the Leadership Team to expand current fundraising, special events, marketing and communications, and special events efforts. This position reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Provides strategic leadership for and ongoing management of the development team and volunteer services.
- Responsible for developing and fostering the company’s philanthropic culture.
- Works closely with the CEO to help the organization grow through solicitation of and support from the philanthropic community.
- Develops vision, strategy and tactics for the development efforts of Second Harvest and works with the Leadership Team to develop holistic organizational strategy
- Ongoing objectives include: supporting the CEO, providing dynamic leadership for the company’s fundraising efforts, strengthening development efforts to meet organizational goals, establishing a systematic prospect research program; and deepening relationships with current donors.
- Engages in networking and ongoing professional development activities.
: Undergraduate degree in philanthropic studies desired; advanced degree preferred.
: 10-15 years of experience formulating and executing successful and comprehensive fundraising programs while managing a staff within a tightly-disciplined process.
Skills and Capabilities:
The ideal candidate will possess many of these professional and personal abilities and attributes.
- Ability to develop and analyze strategy, goals and metrics for development, special events and volunteer efforts.
- Commitment to continuous improvement of Second Harvest’s development efforts in order to position the organization to succeed in a changing environment.
- Ability to successfully deploy and lead a multiple-person department responsible for a significant share of the organization’s revenue, and work in conjunction with the Marketing and Communications department to manage its brand and volunteer efforts.
- Successful track record of leadership in various aspects of development including planned and major giving, capital campaigns, public relations, direct mail and internet/media solicitation, and outreach to corporate and foundation executives.
- Experience with Board of Director relations and volunteer management.
- Ability to translate the company’s mission and programs into fundraising initiatives that garner financial support.
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge and other online tools desirable.
- Respect for confidentiality and accuracy in handling donor information.
- Ability to build rapport with donors, volunteers, and the public with diplomacy, discretion, and customer-service orientation.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong strategic, organizational and mentoring skills.
- Adept at gaining the respect and cooperation of diverse constituents; ability to drive and manage change while maintaining respect for the company’s history and organization.
- Strong work ethic is expected with the ability to work well in a team-oriented, goals-driven department that emphasizes a friendly culture and ownership of work responsibilities.
- Intermediate-level computer skills, particularly in MS Office.
- Personal traits aligned with the values of the company—genuine, personable and approachable, with unquestionable integrity, honesty, and character.
Feeding America - 10 months ago