Participates in and leads Plant Operators in the performance of activities related to the operation and maintenance of a 20-million gallon/day surface water treatment facility, four treated water pumping, storage and metering facilities, five elevated storage tanks, two raw water intakes and booster stations; leads and evaluates work of Plant Operators; performs various laboratory tests and analysis as required for effective operation of the facility and distribution system; performs other related duties as required.
· Leads and evaluates performance of Plant operators; recognizes and counsels Plant Operators regarding work performance; deters formal disciplinary action to higher-level supervisor(s).
· Operates and monitors all processing equipment and machinery; maintains computerized operational control of elevated storage tanks, ground storage tanks, inline booster stations, pump stations and metering stations; initiates changes in operation as determined through calculations and the monitoring of processing variables, test procedures and independent judgment of varying factors.
· Maintains quality processing records, including water flows, chemical dosage, laboratory analysis, and various other facility operations.
· Effects routine maintenance (repairs and cleaning) of all buildings/structures, equipment fans and blowers; includes but is not limited to conducting routine inspections, making mechanical repairs/adjustments and overhauling pumps, reduction gear, and variable speed drive units.
· Performs various laboratory tests and analysis required for effective operation of the water treatment facility (Ph/alkalinity, chlorine residual, fluoride residual, turbidity, jar tests, chlorine demand, etc); handles calibration of associated test equipment.
· Responds to and takes appropriate action in relation to hazardous chemical leaks (chlorine, anhydrous ammonia, hydrofluorosilicic acid) which require the use of an oxygen breathing apparatus; assists/rescues co-workers overcome by chemical exposure.
· Provides after-hours and weekend emergency phone response for customers concerning public services situations.
· Performs all other related duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or GED
2 years of water treatment surface experience.
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
· Knowledge of and ability to apply basic chemistry and mathematical principles.
· Knowledge of basic water purification equipment processes, controls, instrumentation and hydraulics.
· Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
· Ability to follow instructions, safety practices and standard operating procedures in performing assigned tasks.
· Ability to be punctual and attend work regularly
· Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
· Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
· Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
· Ability to interpret charts, flow diagrams, maintenance manuals, and instructions.
· Ability to perform mechanical repairs, including gas/electric welding.
· Ability to respond appropriately in emergency situations.
· Must possess the ability to provide leadership, assign responsibility, and follow through on jobs to completion.
· Ability to distinguish different colors to read and interpret lab equipment and fluids.
· Skill in use of personal computer including Microsoft Office, Open Office or similar word processing programs, e-mail and the internet.
· Must possess and exhibit the skills necessary to operate assigned tools and equipment in a safe and proper manner.
- Must possess skills in personnel supervision, training, and in coordinating operations for
· Must submit to and pass a pre-employment drug test, physical and functional capacity test.
· Must possess a valid State of Texas Drivers License Class “C” and good driving record as defined by City policy.
· Must possess a Grade “C” Certification in Surface Water Production from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality and must obtain Grade B Certification within one year from date of employment.
· Must be able to work overtime and shift work as required.
City of Lewisville, TX - 18 months ago