Chief Scientist for Chemical Imaging
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 302232
Directorate: Fundamental & Computational Sciences
Division: Physical Sciences
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) seeks a senior scientist to lead a major new initiative in Chemical Imaging Science, and to contribute to a broad range of existing fundamental science research programs.
PNNL is making strategic internal investments in laboratory capabilities and expertise to develop a new generation of high spatial and temporal resolution probes. The Chemical Imaging Initiative is a multi-million dollar program meant to deliver a suite of unique tools with nanometer scale resolution and element specificity that will allow researchers to go from model system observation to real-world manipulation on a molecular level.
The Chemical Imaging Initiative comprises three thrust areas:
* Developing new tools that take advantage of advanced and emerging synchrotron x-ray sources for sample excitation
* Creating multimodal imaging capabilities that build on strengths at PNNL and in the Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory
* Building the computational capabilities for image reconstruction, feature extraction and information integration.
This strategic investment is meant to connect and strengthen existing PNNL fundamental and applied science programs in chemical and materials sciences, and environmental and subsurface geochemistry, with broader relevance and application to catalysis, chemical physics, materials sciences, and actinide science, and to create opportunities for future programmatic growth in these areas.
We seek an individual to lead these Lab-level objectives in Chemical Imaging and contribute to fundamental science research at PNNL.
The successful candidate will be expected to immediately help lead fundamental peer-reviewed research in one or more of the above technical areas, and contribute to ongoing research efforts, particularly those sponsored by DOEs Office of Basic Energy Sciences.
Active collaboration with relevant research staff across Group and Division organizations in the Fundamental and Computational Science Directorate and in the Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory is essential.
Senior candidates will be expected to quickly establish themselves as independent principal investigators (PIs) through competitive proposals, and to help mentor junior staff towards proposal development and self-sufficiency.
A Ph.D. with 7 years experience and distinguished personal achievements are required.
International reputation publication list in field of expertise.
Must have a widely recognized national and international authority.
Technical contributions must be recognized as having a very substantial impact on advancing the current state of knowledge and understanding in scientific or technical disciplines.
An extensive publication list is required.
All staff at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
The position will be at the level of Scientist Level VI (Laboratory Fellow).
The following are essential to this position:
* Ph.D in an area of fundamental science with 10 years experience.
* Established research career, international reputation in light source or imaging-based science, with a demonstrated ability to attract and carry out R&D programs.
* Demonstrated expertise in the development and application of experimental and/or computational approaches to understand the fundamentals of x-ray imaging science and its application to chemical, environmental, materials, or biological science.
* Demonstrated success in conceiving research programs and attracting funding for them, as evidenced by an extensive publication record.
* Knowledge of government programs, particularly the Department of Energy, in Office of Science activities.
* Ability to conduct high-quality, productive research in areas of importance to our BES-sponsored programs and the Chemical Imaging Initiative.
* Capability to lead large efforts such as research programs or organizations.
Level of Responsibility:
* Operates independently with reporting duties to an Associate Director in the Chemical and Materials Science Division.
* Manages strategic and day-to-day operations as Chemical Imaging Initiative Lead.
* Proven ability to develop and lead groundbreaking scientific research.
* Experience in managing projects and operating laboratory facilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace.
All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information.
All staff at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory - 22 months ago
It takes a lot of manpower to build a nation's economic and energy security. That's why there's the US Department of Energy....