The Chief of Police provides leadership and administrative direction for the campus Police Department and also, serves as the senior law enforcement officer for the university.
- Manage all functions and operations of the police department in the enforcement of laws, university regulations, the prevention of crime, and protection of life and property.
- Oversees preparation and management of budget requests for department operations and personnel.
- Plan and schedule work of subordinates ensuring proper distribution of assignments and adequate manning, space and facilities for subsequent performance of duties.
- Responsible for traffic control and enforcement of Federal and State laws and institutional policies and procedures.
- Manages criminal investigations in accordance with law enforcement standards and statutory requirements.
- Acts as first responder for medical, first aid, CPR and hurricane relief.
- Develops and provides general supervision of staff by enforcing standards, addressing discipline matters, delegating work and measuring performance.
- Serves as liaison with Federal, State and local law enforcement agencies.
- Cooperatively develops long and short range objectives and goals for the security of the university.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Associates Degree or equivalent; seven to ten years management job related experience in law enforcement.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, REGISTRATIONS:
TCLEOSE Master Peace Officer Certification
OTHER JOB RELATED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Capable of serving as a leader and supervisor
- Possess and display a maturity level consistent with the demands and expectations of this position.
- Ability to handle weapons (i.e. guns).
- Knowledge of Federal, State and institutional rules, regulations and laws.
JOB RELEVANT COMPETENCIES:
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills and able to communicate with people at all levels.
- Shows consideration for others, listens effectively, cooperates well with others, is adaptable, remains calm under stress and is persevering.
- Demonstrates good judgment, seeks all necessary information for problem solving, set clear objectives and priorities.
- Is knowledgeable about financial matters, has cross-functional awareness.
- Is self-reliant, decisive, proactive, enthusiastic, and makes a positive impression on others.
- Ability to exercise self-restraint and maintain composure under pressure or adverse conditions required.
- Demonstrate ability to work in conjunction with the community in the furtherance of university goals.
While performing the essential duties of the job, the employee is required to regularly work in outside weather conditions and be physically active. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
In exercising these functions the employee must be able to lift up to 25 pounds occasionally and up to 10 pounds regularly. The employee must be able to see objects up close.
Houston Baptist University - 10 months ago