Plans, designs, and directs engineering projects such as streets, roads, residential and commercial developments, municipal projects including water and sewer systems, institutional facilities, industrial facilities, drainage projects, channels, and assists project managers by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
SUPERVISOR RESPONSIBILITIES: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Analyzes reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, tests, and aerial photographs on soil composition, terrain, hydrological characteristics, and other topographic and geologic data to plan and design project;
- Calculates cost, determines feasibility of project based on analysis of collected data, and prepares detailed cost estimates;
- Uses computer assisted engineering and design software and equipment to create engineering and design documents;
- Prepares and modifies reports, specifications, plans, cost estimates, construction schedules, environmental impact studies, legal documentation, easements, and designs for project;
- Meets with client periodically to coordinate changes, inform client of additional requirements, receive input from the client, answer client questions, and resolve issues;
- Coordinates with government officials to obtain required approval and permits for assigned projects;
- Coordinates project activity with appropriate officials, support staff, subcontractors, labs, and other entities;
- Tracks project progress and prepares reports of activity in accordance with regulations, company policy and client needs;
- Researches regulations, products, and design techniques to provide answers to client needs;
- Keeps abreast of changing techniques, materials, codes, regulations and software through attendance at seminars, briefings and other forums; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
COMPETENCIES : To perform this job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies :
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Detail oriented
- Planning, organizing, and coordinating
- Excellent communications skills - listening, understanding, and responding
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Innovative thinking
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: Bachelor's degree (BS) in civil engineering from an accredited four-year college or university.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Must be a certified Engineer Intern (EI) and be working toward certification as a Professional Engineer, (PE).
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents. Ability to write speeches and publication articles that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups and/or boards of directors.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to work with mathematic concepts such as algebraic functions and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and propo rtions to practical situations.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
COMPUTER SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Database; Design; Internet; Project Management; Spreadshee t and Word Processing software.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS: Must possess a valid driver license and be able to travel up to 30% of the time.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to: sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work environment is a temperature-controlled office setting. On occasion, the incumbent will be required to travel for meetings in all weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Crafton Tull & Associates, Inc. - 10 months ago