Kiewit is one of North America's largest and most respected construction and engineering organizations. With its roots dating back to 1884, the employee-owned company operates through a network of offices in the United States, Canada and abroad. Kiewit offers construction and engineering services in a variety of markets including transportation, water/wastewater, heavy civil, power, oil, gas and chemical, building and mining. With revenues of more than $10 billion, Kiewit's workforce includes approximately 10,300 staff and 14,400 craft workers. Kiewit Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Kiewit participates in E-Verify.
An experienced engineer at a continuing development level. Performs assignments which have clear and specified objectives and is competent in most basic civil engineering standards, techniques and principles. Requires work experience acquired in an entry-level position, or appropriate graduate level study or related experience. Works with moderate or occasional direction by another engineer experienced in the assigned tasks.
Fully competent engineer regarding most conventional aspects of civil engineering and design. Capable of independently evaluating, selecting, and applying engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria to site development projects. With oversight of a senior engineer experienced in the areas in question or the Department Manager, may lead a medium complexity project or one or more small projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes, but not necessarily limited to the following.
- Maintains a high level of understanding of departmental design standards, applicable engineering codes and Kiewit Power Engineers policies, guidelines and standards. Provides suggestions for improvements to Kiewit Power Engineers standards.
- Understands, contributes to, and adheres to the Kiewit Power Engineers Quality Plan requirements and objectives.
- Prepares design for an assigned system that may include analysis, calculations, research, selection, layout, etc. necessary to develop required design documents.
- Estimates quantities and cost of materials for site development projects.
- Performs and checks engineering calculations in the areas of hydrology, hydraulics, grading and roadway design.
- Learns and applies basic civil engineering software packages and computer-aided drafting software.
- Checks vendor drawings for civil construction commodities.
- Mentors entry level to mid-level engineers at Kiewit Power Engineers in order to develop their skills.
- Checks Kiewit Power Engineers drawings in accordance with industry codes and standards, contract requirements, and Kiewit Power Engineers standards.
- May serve as lead civil engineer on small to medium-sized projects.
- Analyzes reports, maps, drawings, tests, and geologic data to plan and design project.
- Responds to questions and RFIs from the construction contractor dealing with applicable civil components. Formulates ECN’s for design changes.
- Directs the work of drafters, designers and other engineers assigned to the project or a task, and reviews work progress and results.
- Prepares or directs preparation and modification of reports, specifications, drawings, construction schedules, and designs for project.
- Schedules, reviews and coordinates design efforts with other project team members in the same or other departments.
- Partial responsibility for design of complex systems.
- Works with the civil designer to assure the design is correct per company quality procedures
- Advises other departments of potential design impacts and interfaces.
- May serve on Kiewit Power Engineers quality, standards, lessons learned or other committees or teams.
- Submits lessons learned to the Kiewit Power Engineers database.
- May conduct training sessions for other engineers.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be familiar with basic computer operation. It is highly desirable that the individual will have knowledge of computer assisted engineering and design software. Prefer Microstation, Geopak and drainage calculation software.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor of Science degree (B.S.) in engineering in a Civil Engineering program from an ABET accredited four-year college or university program is required. Position requires 3 - 8 years’ experience performing engineering related duties. An EIT license is required. A professional engineering license is desirable.
Occasional travel is required for the purpose of investigation at the site of the project, and meeting with vendors, construction contractor, or the customer. Willingness to travel for long-term assignments is desirable.
Inspects construction site to monitor progress and ensure conformance to engineering drawings, specifications, and construction.
May serve as a field engineer assisting construction personnel in reviewing field installation civil components, researching Kiewit Power Engineers drawings and other information, coordinating with Kiewit Power Engineers office staff, and responding to contractor RFI’s.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Kiewit Corporation - 9 months ago
Peter Kiewit Sons' is a heavyweight in the heavy construction industry. The general contractor and its subsidiaries have a breadth of...