The Civil Engineer will report to the Professional Engineering Manager. The Civil Engineer is responsible for preparing code-compliant structural calculations, specifications, and details to support the design and permitting of solar photovoltaic systems for SolarCity’s residential design team. Projects include qualifying buildings for roof-top PV systems and designing foundations for ground-mount systems. The position relies heavily on experience with residential roof framing systems, including structural engineering concepts and calculations as well as field experience. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented yet able to manage a large volume of work while meeting deadlines. Excellent communication is essential.
- Prepare wind and seismic calculations, and certify mounting hardware.
- Prepare calculations to qualify existing or new buildings for roof-top PV systems, and design and specify upgrades when necessary.
- Use AutoCAD 2D software and custom software tools to prepare structural details and specifications for residential framing upgrades and ground-mount foundations.
- Direct and review the work of EITs, and sign and seal their finished work.
- Work cross functionally with other teams within and outside the engineering department to ensure clients’ needs and internal deadlines are met.
- Perform additional duties as assigned and/or directed.
- Appropriate liscensure related to your region required as a Professional Engineer in Civil Engineering.
- NCEES record
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience with residential structural engineering; preferably in a small to mid-size firm.
- Field experience with structural observation / special inspections.
- At least one (1) year of AutoCAD experience.
- Proficiency with wood, concrete, and steel, and associated material standards.
- BS in civil engineering or architectural engineering, or other related discipline from a top-tier college or university.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required