The SolarCity team is smart, dedicated to our clients, open minded, fun and composed of the solar and renewable energy industry’s best talent. If you want to join a rapidly growing, award-winning company with plenty of opportunities for upward mobility, we invite you to apply to SolarCity.
The Civil Engineer will report to the Professional Engineering Manager. The Civil Engineer is responsible for preparing code-compliant structural calculations, specifications, and details to support the design and permitting of solar photovoltaic systems for SolarCity’s residential design team. Projects include qualifying buildings for roof-top PV systems and designing foundations for ground-mount systems. The position relies heavily on experience with residential roof framing systems, including structural engineering concepts and calculations as well as field experience. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented yet able to manage a large volume of work while meeting deadlines. Excellent communication is essential.
• Prepare wind and seismic calculations, and certify mounting hardware
• Prepare calculations to qualify existing or new buildings for roof-top PV systems, and design and specify upgrades when necessary
• Use AutoCAD 2D software and custom software tools to prepare structural details and specifications for residential framing upgrades and ground-mount foundations
• Direct and review the work of EITs, and sign and seal their finished work
• Work cross functionally with other teams within and outside the engineering department to ensure clients’ needs and internal deadlines are met
• Perform additional duties as assigned and/or directed
• Appropriate licensure related to your region required as a Professional Engineer in Civil Engineering
• NCEES record
• Three (3) to five (5) years of experience with residential structural engineering; preferably in a small to mid-size firm
• Field experience with structural observation / special inspections
• At least one (1) year of AutoCAD experience.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
• Excellent customer service skills required
• Proficiency with wood, concrete, and steel, and associated material standards
• BS in civil engineering or architectural engineering, or other related discipline from a top-tier college or university
Desirable but not necessary
• Experience with light commercial structural engineering
• Experience with trusses preferred
• NCEES record preferred
• Paid training with the nation’s leader in solar power and energy efficiency
• Great people committed to making the world a better place
• Full benefits including health, vision, and dental insurance
• 401k plan and stock options
• Career path opportunities for top performers
DSA experience – Division of State Architect (used for Schools)
SolarCity is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
SolarCity - 13 months ago
SolarCity Delivers Better Energy
SolarCity is a national leader in clean energy services. We make clean energy available to homeowners,...