WHAT ARE THE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THIS POSITION?
Our claims associates are critical to the success of State Farm because of their direct contact with current and potential customers.
A claim representative investigates, evaluates, negotiates, and settles claims. At State Farm, our claim representatives support the mission and values of our company by providing Good Neighbor Service throughout the claims handling process.
The primary responsibilities of a fire claim representative include:
- Working with customers, State Farm agents, attorneys, and service providers through the process of settling homeowner and other personal property claims
- Investigating and evaluating the facts of a claim, which could include inspecting and investigating physical property sites
- Evaluating, negotiating, and settling claims within authority levels
- Maintaining the confidentiality of claim information
- Using State Farm claims systems and other technologies to perform job duties
- Communicating with customers and associates over the telephone, in person, and in written correspondence
- Working under management supervision with attorneys, in the defense of lawsuits and/or in the discovery and investigation process
- Working in a collaborative team environment to handle a large volume of claims, primarily over the telephone
- Providing assignments and direction to claim processors and claim service assistants
- Coordinating or participating in special projects, as assigned
WHAT KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS ARE NEEDED TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS POSITION?
See For Yourself
- Successful completion of required training programs and all licensing requirements, including continuing education for licensing
- Ability to communicate clearly, professionally, and empathetically
- Ability to learn and apply knowledge of insurance contracts, claim policies and procedures, and customer service philosophies
- Ability to learn and utilize computer systems and other technologies
- Ability to develop and apply knowledge of injury, property, and liability issues to handle claims within authority
- Ability to maintain quality work product and professionalism, even when work volume is high
- Ability to empathize with, actively listen to, and deal sensitively and professionally with customers, many of whom are experiencing the stress of a claim situation
- Ability to organize and prioritize work, meeting deadlines and managing competing and changing priorities effectively
- Critical competencies include, but are not limited to, communication, relationship building, critical thinking, customer focus, accountability, and quality
ITEMS OF NOTE
- Position requires investigating Property and Casualty claims, which could include obtaining measurements of a roof and living areas, inspecting attics, basements, crawl spaces and other claim locations as applicable
- Position requires walking, climbing, bending, reaching, stooping, crawling, and lifting objects
- Position requires lifting, carrying, unfolding, and climbing a ladder for inspections on both residential and commercial structures
- May be required to drive motor vehicles and/or travel via commercial transportation
- Must maintain a valid license to lawfully operate vehicles as directed/requested by State Farm
- This position may require non-standard work hours or varying shifts
- This position may require serving in or for geographic locations other than that of assigned area
- Prior experience in fire claims or structural damage estimatics is preferred for further consideration
- Evenings, weekends and overtime may be necessary
- Experience with Xactimate preferred
BENEFITS: TOTAL REWARDS
Our Total Rewards benefits package includes:
You may also be eligible to participate in Medical, Dental, Life and Disability Insurance, Vision, 401(k) Plan (Savings & Thrift in Canada), Credit Union, a fully funded retirement pension plan, and more.
To search for more information on careers in the U.S., visit statefarm.com/careers. To search for more information on careers in Canada, visit statefarm.ca/careers.
- Competitive starting salary
- Annual merit reviews
- Annual bonus potential
State Farm Insurance is an equal opportunity employer
State Farm - 20 months ago
State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company® is the largest auto insurer in the U.S. since 1942. About one of every five cars on the...