WHAT ARE THE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THIS POSITION?
Our claims associates are critical to the success of State Farm because of their direct contact with current and potential customers.
A claim representative investigates, evaluates, negotiates, and settles claims. At State Farm, our claim representatives support the mission and values of our company by providing Good Neighbor Service throughout the claims handling process.
The primary responsibilities of an auto claim representative include:
- Working with customers, State Farm agents, attorneys, witnesses, repair shops and service providers to settle automobile accident claims
- Investigating and evaluating the facts of a claim, which could include damage to property or injury to people
- Evaluating, negotiating, and settling claims within authority levels
- Maintaining the confidentiality of claim information
- Using State Farm claims systems and other technologies to perform job duties
- Communicating with customers and associates over the telephone, in person, and in written correspondence
- Working under management supervision with attorneys, in the defense of lawsuits
- Working in a collaborative team environment to handle a large volume of claims, primarily over the telephone
- Providing assignments and direction to claim processors and claim service assistants
- Coordinating or participating in special projects, as assigned
WHAT KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS ARE NEEDED TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS POSITION?
See For Yourself
- Successful completion of required training programs and all licensing requirements, including continuing education for licensing
- Ability to communicate clearly, professionally, and empathetically
- Ability to learn and apply knowledge of insurance contracts, claim policies and procedures, and customer service philosophies
- Ability to learn and utilize computer systems and other technologies
- Ability to develop and apply knowledge of injury, property and liability issues to handle claims within authority
- Ability to maintain quality work product and professionalism, even when work volume is high
- Ability to empathize with, actively listen to, and deal sensitively and professionally with customers, many of whom are experiencing the stress of a claim situation
- Ability to organize and prioritize work, meet deadlines, and manage changing priorities effectively
- Critical competencies include, but are not limited to, communication, relationship building, critical thinking, customer focus, accountability and quality
ITEMS OF NOTE
- May be required to drive motor vehicles and/or travel via commercial transportation
- Must maintain a valid license to lawfully operate vehicles as directed/requested by State Farm
- This position may require non-standard work hours or varying shifts
Reposted due to an increase in the number of available positions. If you have already applied to job ID 39131, there is no need to re-apply.
Due to the business needs of the hiring department, interested candidates need to be available to start (or be released by their current department) on or before August 19.
These are "inside" claim representative positions, handling auto insurance claims involving injuries.
Additional considerations for these positions include:
- Bachelor's degree or higher preferred
- Prior claim handling and/or customer service experience
- Demonstrated commitment to peronal development
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
BENEFITS: TOTAL REWARDS
Our Total Rewards benefits package includes:
You may also be eligible to participate in Medical, Dental, Life and Disability Insurance, Vision, 401(k) Plan (Savings & Thrift in Canada), Credit Union, a fully funded retirement pension plan, and more.
To search for more information on careers in the U.S., visit statefarm.com/careers. To search for more information on careers in Canada, visit statefarm.ca/careers.
- Competitive starting salary
- Annual merit reviews
- Annual bonus potential
State Farm Insurance is an equal opportunity employer
State Farm® is the largest auto insurer in the U.S. since 1942. About one of every five cars on the road is insured with State Farm. State...