Title: Claims Examiner
Job Description: Under general supervision, promptly investigates, evaluates and resolves property damage and personal injury claims of modest to moderate exposure in a manner consistent with the Company’s objectives and values by gathering appropriate information, evaluating alleged damages, determining liability and compensability, negotiating settlements and reporting obtained information in a timely and efficient manner while maintaining adequate production levels and while fulfilling reasonable customer service expectations in a high-volume, fast-paced environment.
- Investigates, evaluates and resolves property damage and personal injury claims against the Company and/or its subsidiaries.
- Conducts investigations of claims by interviewing claimants and witnesses, obtaining official reports, and by comparing claim information with evidence.
- Establishes reserves appropriately by using independent judgment and expertise and authorizes payments within scope of authority.
- Notifies insurance carriers and third-parties of claims as appropriate.
- Prepares reports by collecting and summarizing information as required.
- Settles claims within his/her authority and in an appropriate manner consistent with Company’s objectives and values by determining liability, by obtaining demands and making offers to claimants, requesting settlement checks, making filings with regulatory agencies, and disposing of salvage, pursuing subrogation when appropriate.
- Control claim costs while maintaining excellent customer service.
- Maintains Company reputation and protects brand identity.
- Escalates matters and recommends litigation when appropriate.
- Complies with federal and state regulations and service standards.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge through continuing education.
- Upholds the Lowe’s Code of Business Conduct at all times.
- Participates in special projects or performs duties in other areas as requested.
- College Degree or equivalent experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and mathematical ability.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a high-volume, fast-paced environment.
- Strong reading comprehension skills.
- Highly organized and self-directed.
- Flexible and able to change plans quickly.
- Excellent problem solver.
- Ability to handle a variety of situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Functional understanding of the relevant law and legal principles.
- Big box retail work experience and business acumen.
- Minimum 6 months previous experience as a Claims Examiner or materially relevant knowledge, skills and abilities from other professions.
- A variable schedule including on-call may be required. Depending on case load you may be required to work beyond normal business hours when necessary.
- Must complete continuing education requirements as required by Lowe’s Legal Department.
With fiscal year 2011 sales of $50.2 billion, Lowe’s Companies, Inc. is a FORTUNE® 50 company that serves approximately 15 million customers a week at more than 1,745 home improvement stores in the United States, Canada and Mexico. Founded in 1946 and based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s is the second-largest home improvement retailer in the world. For more information, visit Lowes.com.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Relevant professional licenses and/or certifications, including a North Carolina insurance adjuster license.
Lowe's - 18 months ago
No longer a low-profile company, Lowe's Companies has evolved from a regional hardware store operator into a nationwide chain of home...