This is a Claims Manager position within the Commercial Property Dept. This position can be located in either Los Angeles or Phoenix, AZ. This position will work from a residential office in either location.
JOB SUMMARY: Promotes and provides "On Your Side" customer service. Manages the analysis, review and adjustment of commercial property damage, material damage, bodily injury and/or other commercial lines claims requiring investigation, liability evaluation, commercial property damage evaluation, and negotiation. Manages the activities of defense counsel to expedite settlement and to control average loss cost and litigation expense. Responsible for the disposition of claims in accordance with prescribed authority. Provides advice and counsel to claims personnel.
RELATIONSHIP: Reports to Commercial Claims Director/Officer
1. Manages from inception to conclusion any and all commercial line of business claims. Manages the settlement of all claims and suits within area of responsibility.
2. Plans and executes all time schedules necessary to promptly and effectively apply best claims practices to conclude all assigned cases in accordance with company guidelines. Adheres to high standards of professional conduct while providing the delivery of superior claims service.
3. Manages reserve process to ensure reserve adequacy. Approves special reserves as necessary.
4. Conducts on-site field investigations of reported commercial claims.
5. Maintains current knowledge of: all insurance lines; court decisions which may impact the claims function; current guidelines in the claims function; and policy changes and modifications. This may require attendance at various seminars and training sessions.
6. Drives technical excellence, manages productivity, conducts open file reviews, reinforces corporate communications, enforces compliance issues, identifies and resolves ethical dilemmas, manages general personnel issues. Develops via coaching/skills building career guidance/professional development counseling, training on technical skills and counsel on improvement opportunities. Evaluate via performance management process.
7. Oversees defense counsel in the handling of lawsuits; authorizes and approves payments of defense attorney fees.
8. Provides advice, counsel, and training to Claims Representatives of all levels. Provides specialized training and consultation to non-claims areas as requested.
9. Delivers a positive On-Your-Side customer service experience to all internal, external, current and prospective Nationwide customers.
10. Identifies, develops and retains high potential/high performing associates who have the potential for or are ready to fill critical roles in the organization.
11. Responsible for the management of associates including performance management, salary planning and administration, training and development, workflow planning, hiring and placement, and disciplinary actions.
12. Other duties as assigned.
Education: Undergraduate degree or post-graduate studies preferred.
Licenses/Designations: State licensing where required. Successful completion of required/applicable claims certification training/classes.
Experience: Eight years commercial claims handling experience. Supervisory or project lead experience preferred
Knowledge: Proven superior knowledge of best claims practices used to resolve the most serious and complex injury and property commercial claims. Proven knowledge of insurance contracts, medical terminology and legal aspects of court procedures affecting legal liability
Skills/Competencies: Proven ability to meet customer needs and provide exemplary service by informing customers of the claims process and ensuring a positive customer experience. Ability to lead and train commercial claims employees in all aspects of claims review and adjustment. Analytical skills to make independent decisions and resolve conflict in such areas as application of coverage to submitted claims, application of laws of jurisdiction to investigation facts, application of policy exclusions and exceptions. Ability to coordinate with defense counsel in the handling of cases involving serious and sometimes complex liability and property issues from inception through trial.Oral and written communication skills for contact and negotiation with policyholders, claimants, attorneys, physicians, engineers, accountants and all levels of management. Organizational skills to effectively establish work priorities in accordance with objectives and standards.Effective listening, oral and written communication skills necessary for customer contact, negotiation, presentations, project management, personnel management Ability to operate personal computer and related software.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Staffing Exceptions to the above Minimum Job Requirements must be approved by: Business Unit Executive and Human Resources.
Working Conditions: Normal office or field claims environment. May require ability to sit and use telephone and personal computer for extended periods of time. Representatives must be able to operate an automobile and have a valid driver's license with a safe driving record. Must be able to make physical inspections of accident scenes and property loss sites. Must be able to climb ladders, balance at various heights, stoop, bend and/or crawl to inspect vehicles and structures. Must be able to work out-of-doors in all types of weather. Must be able and willing to work irregular hours and to travel with possible overnight requirements. May be on-call. Must be available to work catastrophes (CAT).
Credit/Background Check: Due to the fiduciary accountabilities within this job, a valid credit check and/or background check will be required as part of the selection process.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Nationwide is a high-performing organization, and we continue to prove it every day. Our Property and Casualty Division sells a unique mix...