The Claims Research Professional creates and maintains a comprehensive information resource to be utilized by the workers’ compensation operation to ensure compliance with all state laws and in accordance with sound, jurisdiction-specific strategies and tactics.
- Research statutes, regulations, and case law pertaining to administering workers’ compensation in all jurisdictions.
- Develop professional relationships with state agencies and workers’ compensation defense attorneys. Engage in discussions with compliance officials, state ombudsmen, and defense attorneys to clarify interpretation of workers compensation laws and procedures.
- Develop and maintain workers’ compensation information resource to include clear information on highly technical issues, benefit charts and tables, instructions for mandatory reporting, and benefit calculation worksheets.
- Ensure the resource accommodates the training and reference needs of a variety of users within the workers’ compensation operation, including Claims Adjusting, Medical Management, Claims Legal, Special Investigations, Training and Development, and users from other departments within the Company.
- Provide thorough training to Company employees on usage of the resource, with periodic updates highlighting changes.
- Monitor for legislative changes and notify applicable Company staff, assisting in the development of procedures to comply with regulatory changes.
- Education and Experience: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, or experience researching and applying statutes, regulations, and case law, preferably pertaining to workers compensation; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Language Ability: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret legal documents. Ability to write clearly and concisely, accurately conveying complex and nuanced information. Ability to respond to technical inquiries from Company employees. Ability to effectively present information to claim professionals, management, and other Company employees.
- Math Ability: Able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Able to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
- Reasoning Ability: Able to understand and take action regarding problems involving multiple variables. Able to apply common sense when carrying out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Computer Skills: Knowledge of Microsoft Office software; Able to quickly master proprietary or vended claims management software; Proficient in Lexis Nexis preferred but not required; Introductory to basic knowledge of html coding preferred but not required.
COMPREHENSIVE BENEFITS PACKAGE:
- Disability and AD&D
- Retirement & Savings Plan with 100% employer match up to 5% of salary
- Education Assistance Reimbursement
- Paid Vacation and Holidays
The Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies (BHHC) is a group of six insurance companies that are part of the Berkshire Hathaway Insurance Group, headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska. Our Workers Compensation Division provides premier workers compensation insurance coverage to employers across the country, with offices in San Francisco, San Diego, Pasadena, Omaha, St. Louis, Atlanta, and Dallas.
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway insurance group, BHHC has earned an enviable record of success in the insurance industry that is supported by an A++ A.M. Best rating, the highest rating they award insurance carriers. Our corporate size enables our organization to react swiftly and effectively to opportunities in the insurance marketplace. At the same time, our financial strength provides our agents and insureds the security rarely available in a regional specialty carrier.
We value each individual and recognize that attracting and retaining high quality talent is essential to the success of our company. Our structure minimizes bureaucracy and creates an environment that encourages our employees to see the direct effects of their hard work throughout the company. Each division provides hands on training and maintains a small company feel, creating an atmosphere in which 'team players' thrive.
BHHC - 18 months ago