Lead Client Account Manager
Guided by department objectives and priorities, manages the account set up, billing and collection arrangements, account, and inventory management for assigned client portfolios. Develops strong collaborative relationships with attorneys throughout full cycle of client invoicing and collections. Analyzes inventory statistics, prepares supporting documentation, and make recommendations based on business strategies. Responsible for matter management, including rate structure, time entry and value, disbursement tracking and monitoring progress against approved budgets. Responsible for on account billing, unapplied fund resolution and client trust accounting. Ensures client services and satisfaction are attained in all areas of position.
1. Consistently promote and model the Firm's Client Service Principles in teamwork, work product, and personal interaction.
2. Ensure exemplary client service to all internal and external clients; proactively promote client service throughout department and among teams; respond to peer requests with recognition that request serves a client or Firm need.
Client Account Management
1. Manage full cycle billing and collections relationships and processes for designated portfolios of client matters, taking full ownership for results. Establish, foster, and maintain professional, credible, and collaborative relationships with attorneys, staff and clients to ensure accounts support both attorney and client specifications; manage all processes from engagement to collections with tact, diplomacy, and effective negotiation skills.
2. Collaborate and billing attorneys to establish and manage billing structures, including potential discounts, fee caps, tiered discounts and/or matter budgets. Steps may include checking rates and guidelines and revaluing rates as appropriate; monitoring fee caps, tier discounts and matter budgets; participating in the annual rate implementation process; setting up and monitoring alerts; communicating with Master Files and management regarding discounts, write-downs, and write-offs, etc.
3. Manage pre-bill to final bill process; assure partners receive and return accurate prebills in a timely manner. Review, research, analyze, and respond to underlying issues and inquiries. Correct rates as needed. Collaborate with attorneys and staff to edit and finalize. Submit finalized bills in appropriate template format, adhering to attorney and client specifications.
4. Collaborate with the E-billing Coordinator for set up of new clients for e billing requirements. Collaborate with Master Files to update appropriate fields according to client billing guidelines. Submit invoices electronically, taking accountability for successful submission and troubleshooting issues. Proactively follow up regarding acceptance and timely payment of e-bills.
5. Communicate directly with clients as requested or as established, including following up on collections and contacting clients as needed. Concisely communicate arrangements with attorneys and clients on their matters; provide clients with requested information on any special billing and or collection arrangements. Respond to all inquires relating to same.
6. Provide in-depth knowledge and expertise throughout portfolio of clients and billing attorneys. Develop analysis and research related to assigned portfolios, providing concise, detail-based documentation, statistics, and recommendations. Respond to inquiries relating to accruals, audits and payments report; provide rate analysis upon request; recommend solutions base on billing trends relating to realization; and prepare ad hoc reports upon request. Document procedures.
7. Prepare effective monthly billing and collections forecasts for assigned portfolio. Maintain updated pre-bill status report and collection projection tools; monitor billing and collection numbers daily.
8. Ensure management of client trust accounts, on account billing, accurate payment application, and unapplied fund resolution throughout life cycle of assigned accounts. Monitor unapplied cash report and offer resolution when applicable and assist accounts receivable with accurate payment applications. Keep partners updated on available on-account and trust funds and apply when needed.
9. Establish effective backup support processes (cross-training and knowledge transfer) to ensure seamless support for all portfolio matters. Ensure adequate coverage when out of the office; communicate to co-workers and attorneys ahead of time; set out-of-office messages; monitor Blackberry periodically.
10. Participate in continuous improvement of processes for own portfolio and for the Billing and Collections group as a whole; offer constructive recommendations and solutions; propose streamlined processes; actively solve problems.
1. Remain current in industry trends in Accounting & Finance and the legal profession.
2. Ensure expertise in technology relevant to the position; proactively use most current technology to further teamwork, client service, and efficiency.
3. Participate on projects that increase the value of services to clients, attorneys, timekeepers and the Firm.
4. Regularly review position against Matrix expectations and develop goals to further increase position value.
Ensure compliance with the Firm's Confidentiality Policy, including safeguarding confidential and personal information, and reporting any suspected breach appropriately and immediately.
Adhere to the Firm’s General Safety Practices and any unique safety practices for department and building.
Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
1. Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business discipline preferred.
2. Minimum three years dedicated specialized billing, collection or account management experience.
3. Hands-on experience performing complex accounting analysis.
4. Law Firm or professional services background with international exposure preferred.
Teamwork and Applied Skills
1. High level of business acumen and ability to multi-task.
2. Strong verbal and written communication skills.
3. Ability to assess information, anticipate issues and outcomes, and make effective decisions.
4. Ability to prepare accurate, highly detailed work product.
5. Talent for delivering client service through teamwork.
6. Ability to exchange information and to present ideas, report facts and other information clearly and concisely.
7. Strong initiative to proactively increase value to the position.
8. Strong organizational skills and ability to manage large amounts of paper and electronic data.
9. Ability to organize time, prioritize workload effectively, and work independently.
10. High comfort level with sometimes stressful client requirements.
11. Reliability, dependability, and strong motivation to respond to requests quickly.
How to Apply
Only Online Applications will be considered. You will receive a confirmation of your application via email. No phone calls please.
This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Morrison & Foerster is not accepting resumes or referrals from agencies. If you are a recruiter, search firm, or employment agency, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if Morrison & Foerster hires the candidate.
Morrison & Foerster LLP
425 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
Morrison & Foerster is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
With more than 1,000 lawyers in key finance and technology centers internationally, Morrison & Foerster offers clients comprehensive, global...