Education / Licensure / Certification:
Education: High School Diploma or GED required
Licensure/ Certification: None
Experience: One year directly related phlebotomist experience in hospital or physician office preferred
Responsibilities include patient chart review and processing laboratory orders in multiple computer system environments, as well as performing venipuncture techniques and handling patient specimens.
MAJOR WORK ACTIVITIES:
1. Greets clinic patients in a cheerful manner. Directs full attention to patients that are present.
2. Creates and/or processes laboratory orders accurately and efficiently using the appropriate computer system(s).
3. Maintains a professional relationship and open communication with Elam Lab staff and management to accurately process specimens, lab tests, supplies and other resources.
4. Utilize critical thinking skills to find available resources to determine or ensure accuracy of orders (tests and codes); uses backup (manual) protocols when necessary.
5. Properly identifies each patient; obtains specimens using correct venipuncture technique; perform Therapeutic phlebotomies and demonstrate the ability to handle problem situations appropriately (difficult veins, challenging personalities); communicates special information appropriately (e.g., aftercare of venipuncture site); maintains confidentiality.
6. Exercises appropriate response and judgment when faced with unusually stressful situations (e.g., short staffing, computer down-time, and natural or other emergencies), by maintaining composure and making sound decisions.
7. Maintains and evaluates phlebotomy supply needs, including stocking and filling orders for lab site.
8. Prepares specimens for send out to primary reference lab as well as specialty laboratories (specimen preparation; paperwork, including requisitions and manifests; and packaging for pickup or mailing).
9. Employs safe work practices, exercises proper care of equipment, and adheres to written policies and procedures for all tasks.
10. Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. As employees of Moses Cone Health System, our behaviors must be aligned with our values of Outstanding Service, Caring Spirit, Innovative Climate, Integrity and Financial Viability. Our Standards of Behavior reinforce these corporate values and reflect our commitment to Service Excellence. Our Standards of Behavior are:
• Maintain a professional appearance.
• Demonstrate a positive attitude to all customers and fellow employees.
• Maintain a safe, clean and attractive environment.
• Communicate with compassion and courtesy.
• Anticipate customer needs.
• Maintain patient privacy and confidentiality.
2. Physical requirements include:
? full range of body motion, with ability to assist patients in the reception/phlebotomy area;
? manual dexterity and good eye-hand coordination;
? standing for extended periods of time;
? visual, audio, and speech acuity;
3. Mental skills include ability to:
? determine the validity and accuracy of lab orders in the computer system, and correct or
request clarification when necessary;
? communicate professionally with patients, clinical staff, and physicians;
? assess patients’ physical and emotional status in order to interact appropriately with
them both before and after obtaining their specimens
? perform data entry responsibilities with accuracy, attention to detail and precision.
Cone Health - 14 months ago
Cone Health (formerly Moses Cone Health System) serves patients in central North Carolina through five acute and specialty care hospitals...