The primary functions of the Clinical Pharmacy Specialist are developing and providing pharmaceutical care to all patients, including monitoring drug therapy, provision of clinical and drug information, participating in patient rounds in designated areas, and maintaining and developing clinical protocols.
Under the direction of the Medication Safety Officer, the Clinical Pharmacy Specialist :
- Participates in interdisciplinary patient care rounds and acts as the clinical and drug information resource to the Departments of Pharmacy, Nursing, Surgery, Medicine, Psychiatry, Pediatrics and Critical Care
- Coordinates all activities of the Pharmacy Department in regards to working with the medical staff in designated areas
- Participates in initiatives designed to meet and maintain The Joint Commission standards, ensures safe medication use processes and utilizes various data sources to further develop clinical programs
- Provides medication teaching to patients upon request.
- Provides expertise to and/or serves on hospital-related committees such as the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee
- Assists in development of clinical standards, clinical criteria and proper use of protocols as required
- Provides administration and distributive support to the Pharmacy Department
- Bachelor of Science degree in Pharmacy from an approved college of Pharmacy required. Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree preferred.
- Registered as a licensed pharmacist or eligible for reciprocity in the State of Connecticut. (Must obtain a registered license within 3 months of employment.)
- Previous clinical pharmacy practice experience (3 to 5 years) in institutional environment and/or completion of an ASHP-accredited hospital (PGYI) residency
- Completion of an ASHP-accredited fellowship program preferred.
- Member of the local, regional, and national professional organizations preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge and compliance with all State, Federal, and malpractice laws of pharmacy practice.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and experience working on interdiscplinary initiatives across all levels of organization
Norwalk Hospital - 19 months ago