The mission of the Palo Alto Institute for Research and Education, Inc. (PAIRE) is to facilitate research and education activities conducted at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). The range of research activities is broad and includes special emphasis on biomedical, health services, rehabilitation engineering, mental health and geriatric research endeavors. We also support various educational instruction or other learning experiences of benefit to employees and veterans.
PAIRE, a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). A Clinical Research Assistant position is available immediately in the laboratory of Leanne Williams, Ph.D. in Psychiatry and Behavioral Science at the Stanford University School of Medicine and Principal Investigator at VAPAHCS.
Dr. Williams is currently heading the Applied Personalized Neuroscience program with a project testing NIMH Research Domain Criteria (RDoC) for depression and anxiety. The Applied Personalized Neuroscience program is aimed at identifying “clinic ready” biomarkers for guiding classification and treatment in serious mental disorders. This program builds on existing strengths and labs at Stanford, the VAPAHCS’s Mental Illness Research, Education, and Clinical Centers (MIRECC), and PAIRE.
The research is focused on emotional circuitry and behavior in depression and anxiety. There is also the opportunity for collaboration on other projects testing biomarkers in additional clinical cohorts, first degree relatives, and twins.
Clinical information is integrated with cognitive-emotional behavioral, physiological, imaging, and genetic measures. Protocols are designed to be patient friendly and standardized, so they can translate to the clinic. The research ethos is a partnership between collaborating researchers, the multiple disciplines they represent, and the clinical networks involved.
The Clinical Research Assistant will support the Applied Personalized Neuroscience lab and focus on recruitment and assessment with duties ranging from recruitment and conducting screens within a research-clinical partnership, scheduling testing sessions, testing using behavioral and imaging methods, and entering data in study databases under direct supervision.
This is a regular, full time (40 hrs/wk), non-exempt position.
As a condition of employment, all PAIRE employees are required to have an approved (WOC) appointment with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) before they can commence work.
- Work within a team context, coordinating with other research personnel and with clinical personnel;
- Assist with the recruitment and enrollment of study subjects, supported by the partnership with a local mental health center;
- Assist in screening study subjects;
- Explain the study procedures to subjects;
- Schedule subjects for follow-up test;
- Run behavioral, EEG, and fMRI tasks:
- Enter and maintain data in study databases;
- Provide phone follow-up to subjects;
- Escort subjects to reception or clinical area;
- Collect data via mail, telephone, or in person interviews;
- Assist with statistical data analysis for clinical, behavioral, and imaging data in anxiety, depression & healthy cohorts;
- Support manuscript write up.
All PAIRE positions require the completion of a background check.
- EDUCATION: BA/BS or equivalent in Human Neuroscience, Psychology, or a related field highly desired;
- Previous experience working with relevant data and statistics;
- Proficiency with Mac software, Excel, and databases;
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and teamwork skills;
- Must be independent and proactive, with good organizational skills;
- General knowledge of research procedures gained through education or experience;
- Ability to read and understand the study protocol;
- Basic math and statistics skills.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
PAIRE is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- No exposure to blood borne pathogens;
- No exposure to radiation;
- No exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals or reagents;
- No exposure to a lab environment.
If you are interested in applying for employment with PAIRE and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department.