The Clinical Research Nurse Practitioner will provide age specific care to the adolescent and adult persons, with and without diabetes mellitus in a collaborative practice, by using advanced competencies in history taking, physical examination and interpretation of laboratory and related diagnostic tools for purposes of screening and safety assessment of subjects participating in clinical research studies.
Care provided focuses on the management of diabetes, obesity and endocrine disorders, risk identification and reduction, and education. The Nurse Practitioner makes judgements relative to physical diagnosis and therapeutic management independently, using physician consultation where appropriate.
The Nurse Practitioner will participate in the conduct of clinical research protocols including subject recruitment, history and physical examination for subject eligibility and safety monitoring, education, and metabolic evaluation including the infusion and regulation of infusion of test substances such as glucose, insulin, potassium or nitroglycerine.
Hours are 8:30-5:00 Monday-Friday.
- Participates and supports research by developing clinical research questions, conducting or participation in studies, and disseminating and incorporating findings into practice.
- Demonstrates clinical skills relating to the execution of protocols and procedures.
- Performs clinical assessments assessing health and wellbeing for subject eligibility to participate in studies and to assess for ongoing safety events. Communicates effectively with other members of the study team and patient’s care providers.
- Performs research related clinical investigations, which include acute or prolonged administration of test substances such as: oral or intravenous glucose; subcutaneous or intravenous insulin; intravenous potassium; or nitroglycerin.
- Participation in investigational drug or device development.
- Coordinates the clinical care of study subjects at both the initial screening as well as subsequent interim visits. Clinical care to include: assessments/screenings of general health (H&P), evaluation of adverse events, dispensing study medications, obtaining vital signs and electrocardiograms, performing phlebotomy, IV insertion, and laboratory procedures, and patient education.
- Functions as an educational resource for the clinical research members.
- Implementation of study protocol including: insuring all subjects have read and signed appropriate consent forms and in certain situations obtains consent, documenting study drug accountability and assessing patient compliance with study goals. Functions as a liaison between the study participants, study coordinator and the principle investigator.
- Participates in the data collection and monitoring of clinical process to ensure continuous quality improvement. Data collection includes but not limited to the following: obtaining blood and urine specimens according to protocol, processing and shipping samples as indicated by protocol. Demonstrates the ability to analyze and interpret lab data results.
- Documentation of pertinent patient information at each visit in a detailed and concise manner on designated report forms for all study subjects. Documentation to include: treatment of care, adverse events, and educational compliance.
- Coordinating study visits including scheduling study visits according to the protocol, instructing subjects regarding study requirements, arranging consultations with other clinic services as well other diagnostic tests related to the individual study.
- Assists with subject recruitment including interviewing subjects via telephone, reviewing medical records and assessing appropriateness of patient as study subjects.
- Functions as a patient/family advocate demonstrating an understanding of patient rights and ethical standards in the conduct of clinical research.
- Bachelor’s Degree with certificate from Nurse Practitioner NLN recognized program (grandfathered).
- MSN level Nurse Practitioner program, with eligibility for ANA certification.
- Minimum of one year’s experience as Nurse Practitioner required.
- Experience in diabetes management preferred.
- Current Massachusetts RN/NP license.
- American Nurse’s Association (ANA) Certification as Nurse Practitioner
*Requirement: Please submit a cover letter that explains why you're interested in Clinical Research.
Joslin Diabetes Center is an EEO M/F/D/V
Joslin Diabetes Center - 16 months ago