Scope of Work
Perform the full range of social work activities as authorized under the scope of practice of a licensed master social worker, including but not limited to:
- Assess individual and family needs, strengths, and limitations;
- Develop psychosocial assessments;
- provide individual, group and family therapy, as well as crisis intervention;
- record significant psychosocial events and/or changes in clinical condition;
- determine the individuals strengths and need for linkage and referral services;
- serve as a resource to other team members regarding social adjustment, discharge service needs, and the effective utilization of community services;
- determine discharge service needs and appropriate community resources;
- educate individual and family about the nature of the disorder/illness and available resources and how to access them;
- may direct and oversee the therapeutic interventions of individuals assigned to their treatment team;
Perform various activities in support of licensed master social worker services provided:
- prepare reports and maintain medical and other case records including progress notes, observations, recommendations and discharge plans;
- attend treatment team meetings and actively present clinical information and observations to staff in other disciplines;
- coordinate the care and treatment planning of one or more individuals served by the treatment team;
- may serve as a primary point of contact for information and coordination of services and treatment among several groups including: the individual and family members; vocational and educational service providers, other social services entities; probation,
parole, and other criminal justice entities; and other community agencies associated with treatment.
May implement and coordinate approved program initiatives effectively with affected facility staff and units; participate in committee discussions and decision-making; and chair committees established to carry out assigned activities.
Under the clinical supervision and direction of a licensed clinical social worker a Licensed Psychologist, or a Psychiatrist, or independently if appropriately licensed, incumbents may:
- provide individual psychotherapy to enhance social, emotional and behavioral functioning;
- conduct clinical assessments to determine appropriate therapeutic interventions, services and supports, including diagnostic impressions;
- deliver individual, group, and family psychotherapy as well as crisis intervention.
- may provide clinical consultation and assistance to members of the professional staff, members of the treatment team, and/or to the community.
- Licensure and current registration in New York State as a licensed master social worker
- Two years’ experience working with children and/or adolescents