Responsible for developing, coordinating, implementing and evaluating clinical educational activities. Actively teaches staff on topics related to education and training of clinical staff. Assists in competency testing for the area of expertise. Collaborates with staff to provide continuing education programs. Coordinates department orientation for new staff, new hire integration and the preceptor program.
1. Supports the clinical department directors in the formulation of objectives, philosophy, goals and policies and the evaluation of the education process and programs for the department.
2. P articipates in nursing/clinical meetings and reads departmental meeting notes with the purpose of continually improving the patient care delivery through an inter-disciplinary approach.
3. Assists the team in identifying the educational needs of all staff relative to the constantly changing environment.
4. Promotes a learning environment that utilizes human patient simulators and adult learning/teaching techniques and encourages student feedback. Ensures course outlines challenge students academically and technically and meet current state and regional standards.
5. Assists directors in developing, organizing and administering the department orientation process of new employees to ensure quality.
6. Participates in professional growth and development programs. Attends activities/programs, which further enhance own professional growth. Must be a self-starter and willing to stay current in clinical areas through journal articles, online learning and other self-study. Actively participates in hospital and community educational committees/programs.
7. Communicates changes in health care legislation, educational standards, care delivery theories and practices related to department-specific practice.
8. Serves as a positive role model and representative of the hospital. Maintains membership on pertinent task forces relative to education. Responds as a credible authority and responsible resource person.
9. Assists the department director in documentation of all department educational activities, special training such as BLS and ACLS, continuing education programs and mandatory training.
10. Primary oversight of SIM Lab.
11. Establishes and maintains printed material and other media for the department.
12. Maintains an effective and efficient licensure and competency process and file.
13. Maintains cultural competence, including:
· Understands the mission and vision of the organization.
· Lives within the values of the organization.
· Operates within the concept of patient focused care.
14. Performs Point of Care procedures in a timely manner according to established policy and procedure. Documents required information and complies with all Point of Care quality control standards.
- Education: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing required; advanced degree preferred.
- Licensure/Certification: Current state licensure as a registered nurse or licensure from a state within the Nursing Compact required. Current BLS and ACLS certification required. PALS preferred.
- Experience: Minimum of two (5) years’ experience in adult, acute care RN-level nursing required. Prior experience in the coordination of education programs preferred.