Job Title: Co Pack Manufacturing and Procurement Manager
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
FLSA cod: Exempt
About the Company
SunOpta Food Solutions (SFS) is a division within the Consumer Products Group of SunOpta, Inc. (Nasdaq symbol “STKL”). SunOpta Inc. is an operator of high-growth ethical businesses, focusing on integrated business models in the natural and organic food and natural health markets.SFS has four business units: Consumer Products, Foodservice, San Bernardino and Allentown. .
Consumer Products develops natural and organic food products for the retail industry using third party co- pack manufacturing. Our current portfolio of products includes: shelf stable and refrigerated juices, juice and tea blends, vitamin enhanced waters, electrolyte waters, frozen IQF fruits and vegetables, energy drinks, fruit cups, green garbanzo hummus and fruit and vegetable purees produced in Gualapack flexible pouches.
Foodservice works with the leading foodservice operators and develops food solutions that best fit their needs. We represent and sell food products from internal (SunOpta) and external third party food manufactures to key accounts within the foodservice industry. San Bernardino is a citrus juice extraction and juice bottling production facility that was purchased by SFS in August 2011 producing a variety of citrus products and other bottled beverages. Allentown, PA is our east coast site that became operational in August 2012 where we produce private label flexible pouches for the baby food, beverage, healthy snack food, convenience food and dairy industries.
- Coordinate the activities of a team comprise of: 4 purchasing professionals, a production and Inventory Planner and a Logistics Coordinator and directly manage all co-packing activities for the group. The purchasing activity and the managing of the co-packing process intersect in the sourcing and procurement of raw materials for both in-house manufacturing and for delivery to our co-packers. The role of this person in managing co-packing operations includes: sourcing, logistics, production planning, inventory control and the development/maintenance of cost models.
- Oversee procurement, inspections, productions and operational efficiencies at our third party co packers to achieve gross profit margin targets and on time productions.
- Oversee and manage our citrus supply chain for our retail private label orange juice program with the Consumer Products team.
- Manage the procurement team within SFS as well as interface with the procurement teams across other divisions of SunOpta and participate in bi monthly procurement team conference calls.
- Develop costing models to include all raw materials, packaging, freight and warehousing components in order to bid on new business as requested by the Sales team and management. Review production costs, co pack fees, packing costs, and modify production and inventory control programs to maintain and enhance profitability.
- Establish production reporting protocols and standards required of our co packers for the timely reporting of information to our finance team.
- Manage the procurement team and production planners to achieve on time productions and eliminate out of stock situations while meeting gross profit objectives developed in our annual budgets..
- Manage and assure compliance of all safety and environmental government and/or corporate laws, rules and policies.
- Contribute to development and implementation of mid-and long-term planning on products and services in coordination with the Sales Team and management
- Minimum of 7 years in manufacturing and production of Foods or Beverage products.
- Minimum of 5 years in procurement of food ingredients.
- Knowledge and competency in ERP and/or MRP systems in a food manufacturing environment.
- Proven track record of successfully managing all functional areas of Operations and procurement both strategically and tactually.
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal, to effectively address all levels within the organization.
- Ensure continuous optimization of processes and share best practices.
- Ensure the compliance with safety, health, environmental and quality guidelines provided by corporate and local relations and customer requirements
- Ability to travel up to 40%- 50% of time, 10%-20% International and 30%- 40% in the US
- Foreign Language Skills: Spanish Highly desirable, but not mandatory.
SunOpta is a leading global company with a focus on natural, organic and specialty foods. We specialize in the sourcing, processing and...