Responsible for safely operating all types of agency motor buses and on-board equipment to transport passengers over specified routes.
The hourly rate for this position is:
This position will remain open until filled.
- $15.22/Hour - Starting wage
- $15.86/Hour - After completion of six (6) months
- $23.92/Hour - Top rate after 60 months
- Safely operates a motor bus on a specified route, making required stops for passengers at designated terminals and stops.
- Maintains time schedules and collects fares.
- Assists passengers by answering bus service questions; announcing transfer points, major intersections, and destination points; assists persons with disabilities to board and depart the bus and provides assistance to passengers as may be required to ensure optimum customer service and courtesy.
- Complies with written and posted traffic regulations and agency policies and procedures.
- Records and reports needed motor bus adjustments or repairs.
- Completes and submits accident and trouble reports on date of accident or trouble occurred.
- Reports accidents, law violations, and other incidents, as appropriate.
- Performs related duties as required.
At the time of application, must provide evidence of meeting the following state-mandated requirements for a Commercial Driver License or Permit:
The Authority reviews your driving history against a high standard. You will be considered if you:
- 21 years of age at time of application
- Provide a DMV print-out of the driver's record (H6), issued not more than 30 days prior to date of application
- Physical strength and dexterity to complete the physical aspects of the required training program and job duties
- Demonstrated regular & successful work history
- Have zero driving points in the last three years
- Have one or fewer moving and/or non-moving violations in the last three years
- Have zero chargeable accidents in the last three years
- Have appeared in court, as requested
- Have paid fines, as requested
- Are free from any serious traffic convictions such as:
- Evading an officer
- Hit and run
- Excessive speed
- Speed contest
- Reckless driving
- And driving under the influence
- All applicants must successfully complete the Student Coach Operator Training program to qualify for full or part-time employment.
- Once employed, coach operators must possess and maintain a valid California Commercial Driver License Class A or B with "P" (passenger) endorsement and air brakes.
- Applicants may apply with a Class C driver license.
- California State Motor Vehicle Code.
- Principles and practices of public relations and customer service.
- Verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
- Pass the state-mandated physical performance tests which include the ability to: safely and effectively conduct motor bus pre-operation inspection; grasp and turn steering wheel in both directions; reach and operate floor and instrument panel controls; correctly operate electronic fare and transfer equipment; correctly operate on-board communications equipment; extend, operate, and secure all types of mobility devices mounted on OCTA vehicles; manipulate and properly secure occupied mobility devices in an on-board, designated securement area; lift, close, and secure access doors and panels during equipment inspection procedures.
- Understand and follow oral and written communications.
- Work varying shifts, hours, days, and locations.
- Make basic math calculations.
- Speak, read, and write in English.
- Complete various required forms; write & maintain various reports.
- Analyze a variety of situations occurring en route and/or involving public safety to adopt an effective course of action.
- Successfully pass a DOT medical exam which includes an alcohol/drug test.
- Successfully pass required background investigation.
The above statements are intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. They are not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, skills, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Orange County Transportation Authority - 13 months ago