Engineers - Maritime
Marine and Coastal
Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Globally, Atkins is the largest UK-based engineering and design consultancy and the world's 11th largest design firm with nearly 18,000 employees worldwide. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
At Atkins, we offer our employees more than just a job; we offer an opportunity to shape the world for generations to come through innovative and sound design. As the official engineer of the 2012 London Olympics, few companies can rival the size and diversity of our projects. Whether it’s the concept for a new skyscraper, the upgrade of a rail network, the modeling of a flood defense system or the improvement of a management process, we plan, design and enable solutions.
Atkins seeks an energetic, highly motivated, detail-oriented, self-starter to join our Austin staff as a Coastal Engineer.
The candidate will be involved on projects related to Coastal Engineering, Coastal Restoration, and Coastal Infrastructure such as habitat restoration, erosion control, bay and estuarine management, and mapping of coastal hazards. The applicant must have experience with at least three of these coastal issues: modeling ( e.g., modeling or study of coastal winds, waves, storm surges, currents, erosion) planning, permitting, and design of coastal/marine facilities (e.g., piers, bulkheads, beaches, port facilities), erosion control, and navigation and dredging projects. The candidate must be proficient in using standard business software and hydrodynamic and wave models. Experience with CADD and GIS is a plus.
Typical duties and responsibilities of this position are:
Candidate may be located in Austin or Houston, TX.
- Assists with plans, schedules, conducts or coordinates detailed phases of the engineering work in marine related projects.
- Performs coastal engineering design, modeling and drafting work for engineers and project managers.
- Assists with preparing cost and man-hour estimates, job budgets and schedules.
- Supports preparation of final plans and reports and submits them for approval.
- Supports the preparation and writing of proposals.
- Conducts engineering investigations and planning work.
- Participates in the coordination of restoration initiatives in Texas and the Gulf of Mexico
- Coordinates work with other engineers and professionals within and outside own discipline, and with support services staff.
- Assists with plans, schedules and conducts or coordinates construction services on projects of moderate scope.
- May occasionally assist in the management of projects.
- May perform such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
The appropriately qualified candidate will have the following core competencies and required experience:
- B.S. or M.S. in Coastal Engineering or Water Resources with Coastal emphasis. Civil Engineering degree will be considered with Coastal related experience.
- This level may be achieved by Engineers with (3) to (5) years' experience since B.S. or (0) to (3) years’ since Master’s Degree. M.S. is highly preferred.
- Good technical writing, computer and communications skills, both verbal and written required.
- If required, E.I.T. may be needed with the ability to obtain a P.E. within two (2) years of employment.