Hiring salary range: $56,534-$70,678, depending on qualifications
Full salary range: $56,534-$84,801
Reporting to the Chief of Police, provides leadership and supervision to the Code Enforcement Division, as well as provides oversight to the Animal Control and Parking Enforcement Units. This position is also responsible for the administration and enforcement of applicable City ordinances and State statutes related to minimum housing and code violations and various zoning violations. This position performs supervisory, administrative, and technical work involving office and field operations. This position is also responsible for meeting with community leaders to address neighborhood-level concerns, organizing community groups and events, preparing plans/strategies to address neighborhood concerns, coordinating and supervising the activities of the Code Enforcement Division to include delegating assignments for staff and evaluating results, identifying funding opportunities, coordinating with other agencies to address community concerns, implementing program plans for identified concerns in communities, providing oversight of the City's housing and environmental code enforcement program, providing staff assistance to the City Council and City Boards and Commissions as needed, and performing other duties as required.
Examples of Duties:
• Directs and supervises code enforcement activities and staff by planning and leading programs, projects and operations; supervising housing rehabilitation activities; overseeing enforcement; advising staff on interpretation issues; developing and managing goals, objectives and strategies; developing policies and procedures; and overseeing the implementation of new codes.
• Manages staff by planning and prioritizing tasks, ensuring policy and procedure compliance, recommending changes and adjustments, and monitoring staff performance and development.
• Acts as a community liaison by developing and maintaining relationships with property owners, developers, contractors and local agencies; representing the interests of the City; providing technical assistance; and coordinating public outreach and education initiatives.
• Prepares and administers the annual budget by forecasting revenues and expenditures, presenting proposals for approval, recommending staffing levels, compiling and analyzing data, authorizing payments and monitoring expenditures for recommended adjustments.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or unversity with major course work in Urban Planning, Public Administration, Construction Management, or related field; and
•Three to five years of increasingly responsible code enforcement, personnel management, and community capacity building experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
operational characteristics, services, and activities of a comprehensive municipal code enforcement program; principles and practices of supervision; pertinent laws, codes, and regulations as they apply to code enforcement; principles and procedures of record keeping; effective customer service; modern office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and supporting word processing and spreadsheet applications; methods and techniques of business correspondence and technical report preparation.
oversee, direct, and coordinate the work of staff; participate in the development and administration of division goals, objectives, and procedures; research, analyze, and evaluate new service delivery methods and techniques; prepare and conduct presentations to groups of varying sizes; represent the City in a professional manner in dealing with staff, citizens, and other agencies and groups; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Valid N.C. driver's license and acceptable driving record.
• Possession of Level I Standard Building Certification as outlined by the NC Code Officials Qualification Board or the ability to obtain certification within 24 months of hire date.
City of Greenville, NC - 19 months ago
Greenville, NC is the 10th largest city in the state of North Carolina and the home of East Carolina University! Located halfway between the...