Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) offers employment opportunities in a variety of settings, including our downtown Minneapolis hospital and clinics, and neighborhood clinics throughout the metro area. We are committed to creating a culturally competent and inclusive work and care environment for patients, families, and staff, and we encourage interested applicants with bilingual and bicultural skills to apply for positions at HCMC.
One full time opening current available in Health Information Management. Hours are day shift reporting to the Inpatient Coding Manager.
**Opportunity to work from home is available after employee completes necessary onsite training and meets productivity levels**
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit (union).
Must have completed an American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) approved program for Certified Coding Specialist, - OR Health Information Technician (2 year degree), - OR - Health Information Administrator (4 year degree).
Five years of hospital inpatient coding experience.
Must be either Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) by an AHIMA recognized program.
Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Ability to work independently with minimal direction.
3M and EPIC experience strongly preferred.
1. Assigns the appropriate ICD-9-CM, ICD-10-CM/PCS, HCPCS, and CPT codes to diagnoses and procedures on inpatient, observation, interventional radiology, and same day surgery cases.
2. Assigns the correct DRG based on the coded diagnostic information on inpatient cases.
3. Abstracts demographic and clinical data (including quality assurance) from the patient’s med ical record by use of a computerized encoding system.
4. Effectively interacts with staff physicians for clarification of coding issues, as well as, effectively educating staff, physicians, HCMC ancillary staff and self on coding issues.
5. Maintains statistics, records and logs in relation to assigned work area.
6. Assists with the training of students and new employees.
7. Keeps educated about current coding and DRG changes.
8. Keeps manager informed of problems/issues within coding.
9. Abstracts core measures information from the patient’s medical record as needed.
10. Actively participates in other duties as assigned, but only after appropriate training.
You've made the right choice in considering Hennepin County Medical Center for your employment! HCMC offers a wealth of opportunities for our ever-changing population and is a place you'll feel challenged, rewarded, and appreciated. We are dedicated to providing Equal Employment Opportunities for both current and future employees, who want to make an impact in our patients' lives. Thanks for choosing HCMC!
HCMC has the following Success Factors that apply to all our employees to ensure competency. They are: exhibits accountability, demonstrates ethics and trustworthiness, delivers customer service, embraces differences, uses resources wisely, communicates clearly, builds and strengthens relationships, champions change and seeks continuous growth. Employees must be able to demonstrate competency in these areas.
Please Note: external applicants selected for an interview with Hennepin County Medical Center must provide data for a Criminal Background Study. Offers of employment from Hennepin County Medical Center are conditional and contingent upon successful clearance of all background studies.
Hennepin County Medical Center - 2 years ago