***Applications received from current OHSU Employees within the first 7 days of this posting will be given preference***
This position provides support to the Department for billing of physicians fees (Medicare Part B). This position is responsible for reviewing documentation to make sure the documentation supports the levels or types of service billed and/or assigning level of service based on documentation. The position ensures the documentation is in compliance with Medicare/Medicaid billing regulations and documentation guidelines, CPT documentation guidelines, and PATH rules; Is responsible for meeting performance standards set for accurate and timely submission of charges for professional services rendered at OHSU; provides technical expertise regarding a broad range of third party payer and reimbursement issues; may provide physician education on billing and coding practices and advise physicians of coding changes or changes in regulations. The coding assignments will vary based on assignment and need. The focus will be on Anesthesiology, Critical Care, and Pain Management.
- Two years of hospital or professional services experience reviewing and coding medical records using ICD-9-CM and CPT coding; OR C ompletion of Medical Records Coding course through an accredited college or university OR An equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Certification in one of the following:
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) through the American Health
- Information Management Association (AHIMA). OR Certified Professional Coder (CPC) through the American Academy of Professional Coders.
- Prior experience or working knowledge of Anesthesiology coding..
- Knowledge of CPT, ICD-9-CM, HCPCS, Federal Register, Federal and State insurance billing laws and Mandates.
- Formal Medical Terminology.
- Proficiency with word processing and Excel spreadsheets.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with individuals at all levels, physicians, nurses, administrative management, etc.
- Ability to work as a team player in a close proximity environment.
- Member of the American Academy of Professional Coders and Certified Professional Coder required upon hire.
- Accredited Coding Program
- Two years experience coding Anesthesiology professional (Medicare Part B) services of physicians.
- Some college course work or education in classes related to anatomy/physiology, CPT and ICD-9-CM coding.
Oregon Health & Science University - 20 months ago