Reviews official medical records with physician/healthcare provider documentation and assigns appropriate codes for all physician/healthcare provider services from current editions of official coding sources. Ensures accurate, complete, and timely code assignments for all physician/healthcare providers.
Knowledge of the CPT , ICD -CM, and HCPCS nomenclature, coding rules and guidelines.
knowledge of inpatient and outpatient medical records processing and federal and state reimbursement regulations.
Position Specific Qualifications:
- Performs ICD -9 coding for all fee tickets and verifies accuracy of the document.
- Maintain accuracy of billing codes.
- Initiates form letters for new claim submission on all denied and corrected claims for reconsideration of payment.
- Perform medical chart review and review assigned medical MC/MD records according to established guidelines.
- Maintains a professional and courteous working relationship with staff, faculty, and residents.
- Follow governmental and managed care guidelines in regards to charges and demonstrates initiative within area of responsibility.
- Maintains a professional and courteous working relationship with all internal and external entities.
- Performs other related tasks or duties assigned by the supervisor within the policies of the department and TTUHSC in order to meet the goals and objectives of the department.
Knowledge of medical terminology. Familiarity with medical charts. Typing, ability to interact effectively with others, ability to work in a busy environment; ability to understand and follow instructions; familiarity with medical procedures; familiarity with computers, ability to communicate with a variety of people and ability to use a calculator.
- Performance quarterly Compliance audits.
- Provides compliance training to new staff, faculty, and residents on state and federal guidelines.
- Participates in committees and attend meetings pertaining to area of responsibility.
A minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent plus at least two (2) years of coding and reimbursement experience that includes procedural and diagnosis coding.
A minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent plus successful completion of a recognized procedural and diagnosis coding course.
At least two (2) years of coding and reimbursement experience in a physician group, clinic or academic healthcare setting.
Current certification through American Health Information Management Association ( AHIMA ) in the following areas:
Certified Coding Specialist-Physician based ( CCS -P), Certified Coding Specialist ( CCS ).
Current certification through the American Academy of Professional Coders ( AAPC ) in the following areas: Certified Professional Coder ( CPC ) Certified Professional Coder-Hospital
Security Level (TTU only)
Does this position work in a research laboratory?
If yes, are select agents used in this laboratory?
Texas Tech University HSC - El Paso
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
Certification to remain current during term of employment, if applicable.
Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to write clear, concise reports, and business correspondence; ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos; ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
This is a full-time position. The primary job location is at 9849 Kenworthy St., El Paso, TX 79924. May be assigned to one of the department’s off-site clinic on occasion.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, but will be required to stand and walk. Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Hourly Pay Range
13.16 - 18.78
Monthly Pay Range
2281.07 - 3255.20
Internal Candidates Only?
Internal Cand Open Date
Internal Cand Closing Date
The entities of the Texas Tech University System are Equal Opportunity Employers and employ without regard to sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, genetic information, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, or other protected classes.
Texas Tech University - 19 months ago