Installs, repairs and maintains sewer mains and lines, within the guidelines of supervisory instruction, accepted work practices and department rules and procedures. Reports to the Collection Supervisor II or other designated person, works with co-workers and the public to provide maintenance support. PERFORMS 24/7 ROTATING ON-CALL DUTIES.
PRINICIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES MIGHT INCLUDE:
- Makes sewer taps, lays pipe, repairs sewer lines, and clears water and sewer rights-of-ways and conducts CMOM related tasks
- Conducts field manhole checks in coordination with the Collection and Asset Managers
- Opens and closes work orders in the supervisor’s absence and supports the supervisor in maintaining truck inventory through work order process
- Operates a backhoe, roller, trencher and transports tools and equipment to work sites
- Responds to customer complaints, back up complaints, and answers emergency service calls
- Assist Distribution section by installing water taps, laying pipe, clearing rights-of-ways, performing preventive maintenance activities, or any other distribution related need requested by supervision
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level
- Assisting a supervisor in repairing and or maintaining sewer mains
- Perform CMOM related tasks at the direction of a supervisor
- Performing service taps at the direction of a supervisor
- Completing AUD / GBA work orders in the absence of the supervisor
- Supporting the supervisor in locating equipment and supplies to the job-site
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
High School Diploma or GED.
0-3 years of experience in a similar position (without certification).
- Considerable knowledge of the methods and practices of installing, maintaining, and repairing sewer lines and mains
- Familiarity with policies and procedures pertaining to the repair and maintenance of sewer lines and mains and location of water and sewer lines and mains
- Moderate skill in laying pipe, constructing, maintaining, and repairing sewer lines and mains, and using tools
- Moderate skill in the construction of new sewer lines
- Proficient in operating equipment such as a backhoe, roller, trencher, sewer rodding machine, and tapping machine
- Good communication skills, both oral and written
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Wastewater Collection certification not required but aids advancement
- Possess or have the ability to obtain a valid State of Georgia Operator/Drivers License for the vehicle type or equipment operated
Positions in this class typically require walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions. Work is performed in a field setting.
Heavy Work: Exerting up to 75 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
City of Augusta, GA - 17 months ago