At the heart of our work is the belief that educational outcomes should not be determined by family income, race, or zip code. The aim of KIPP through College (KTC) is to ensure that college graduation is an option for all KIPP Delta students. All KTC team members are responsible for ensuring that students (and their families) are provided with early college access; understand the admissions and financial aid process; and are supported as they work toward college graduation. Additionally, the KTC team advocates for college access, greater support for low-income, underrepresented and/or first generation college students in order to eliminate barriers to college matriculation and graduation. Over 90% of our first three graduating classes have matriculated to college immediately following high school graduation.
The College Advisor works to ensure that 100% of KIPP Delta students matriculate to college or a rigorous post-secondary career training program.
The college advisor…
· Tracks student data including progress towards graduation, attendance at college preparatory visits and trips, summer program applications and acceptances, college applications, and college admissions decisions, and financial aid awards to ensure that 100% of graduating seniors are accepted to college.
· Exposes students to a range of colleges/universities that represent the gamut of college options (liberal arts, comprehensive, co-op, HBCUs, religiously-affiliated, etc.) available to them through campus visits, field lessons, and summer programs.
· Provides summer program, college, and financial aid advising to ensure students are getting the right experiences and support to ensure college graduation.
· Helps students complete summer program, college, and scholarship applications by providing one-on-one assistance, feedback, and deadline tracking.
· Educate students and parents about colleges, the college admissions process, trends, procedures, and testing; advise and support advisory teachers/classes of 30-50 seniors and families as they go through the admissions process.
· Maintains communication via calendars and/or digital technology to communicate deadlines, scholarships, pre-college programs, and other pertinent college preparatory programs.
· Helps students interested in arts, theater, or similar majors compile portfolios.
· Builds enthusiasm for and a desire to attend an academically rigorous four-year college by coordinating events, possibly including, but not limited to: workshops for juniors and seniors on essay writing and resume writing; workshops for families on the college application process, financial aid, and choosing and preparing for college; College Signing day; middle school to high school transition meeting; FAFSA information session; and, Homecoming.
· Is a member of the high school team and supports the high school in achieving its character and academic goals.
The college advisor…
· Strongly believes in the mission of KIPP Delta Public Schools and KIPP through College.
· Possesses strong organizational and time management capabilities.
· Takes initiative.
· Has prior experience working with students and their families from low-income communities with demonstrable results, preferably as a college counselor or at an institution of higher education.
· Is committed to developing himself/herself professionally through development opportunities, participation in organizations that support college access, and staying current in college access literature.
Please submit a cover letter, resume with demonstrable results, and a sample of letter of recommendation for a high achieving high school student and a student with an average grade point average.
For more information:
KIPP Delta through College Director
KIPP Delta - 7 months ago