Achieve profitable underwriting results in support of growth and profit objectives by appropriate risk selection, agency relations, book management and self-development.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
1. Select profitable risks within individual authorities granted, by identifying and analyzing risk exposures against coverage desired, using pricing rules and procedures, placing approved reinsurance where required, and modifying policy coverages where necessary to reflect the individual characteristics of each account.
2. Manage and re-underwrite existing book of business to maintain profitable results, by identifying changes in risk exposures or characteristics, changes in loss trends as measured by loss ratio, loss frequency or other measures.
3. Maintain policy retention objectives as determined to meet company objectives.
4. Develop effective relationships with agents and other internal and external customers through effective communication, cooperation and periodic agency visits.
5. Develop and maintain full knowledge of all policy forms, coverages, rating plans and manuals for all property and casualty lines written.
6. Assist as needed in the training, mentoring and development of new or less experienced underwriting personnel.
7. Manage assigned work to meet or exceed time and quality service standards.
8. Review referrals from other underwriters and/or Tech Raters within the referral guidelines and individual underwriting authority.
9. Exhibit the company’s core values of integrity, candor, ownership, working together and doing the right thing.
10. Maintain appropriate underwriting documentation on the system or in writing as required.
11. Provide appropriate and thorough input into Agency Reviews.
12. Participate as needed in task groups or committees.
Three to Seven (3-7) years of commercial lines underwriting & insurance experience strongly preferred or completion of the Grange Underwriting Trainee program required. Bachelor’s degree or CPCU designation strongly desired. Must possess excellent communication and work management skills and the ability to: use computer, complete multiple tasks within set deadlines and should be willing to continue learning and updating skills; and travel as required for agency visitations, agency meetings, seminars, etc.
Grange Mutual Casualty Company - 16 months ago