Formulates profitable commercial underwriting decisions by acquiring, evaluating, and analyzing information to make selection and pricing decisions that are consistent with Society’s underwriting philosophy and in accordance with departmental and company guidelines and standards.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
(Other duties may be assigned)
- Determines degree of risk by evaluating renewal and new business accounts for acceptability based on profit potential and company guidelines.
- Prices business by applying expertise and judgment in conjunction with company guidelines and underwriting decisions.
- Minimizes risk and improves profitability by communicating over the phone, through written correspondence, and through on-site visits with agents and insureds.
- Builds and executes an annual agency management production and profit plan for the assigned underwriting territory, supported by cultivating relationships through phone contact, written correspondence and on-site visits with agents and insureds.
- Offers departmental support to Small Business Underwriters by mentoring and developing them.
- Acts as a liaison by helping customers solve problems with other departments such as claims, billing, auditing, etc.
- Analyzes Risk Control Reports and makes recommendations based on findings.
- Contributes to team effort by participating in scheduled underwriting meetings.
- Completes special projects as assigned by manager.
*An individual without a bachelor’s degree may be considered if they demonstrate 10-15 years of experience successfully underwriting accounts of similar or greater complexity and size as that of a Society Commercial Underwriter. Responsibilities need to have included territory and agency management. In addition, a history of continuous industry education as demonstrated by multiple designations completed such as CIC, CPCU, AU, ARM.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, insurance or related field and 3-5 years of current, relevant commercial underwriting experience.*
- Continuing education in the insurance field (i.e. CPCU, CIC, AU, ARM).
- Basic competency with desktop applications such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- 5+ years of commercial underwriting experience with accounts similar to Society Insurance’s accounts.
- Experience working in a paperless office environment.
- Completed insurance designation (i.e. CPCU, CIC, AU, ARM).
Society Insurance - 15 months ago
Society Insurance is a mid-sized, commercial lines insurance company located in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. We are...