University of Maryland in Baltimore, Department of Facilities Management is currently seeking a Commissioning Manager . Reporting to the Director of Architecture, Engineering and Construction, the Commissioning Manager oversees the quality assurance program associated with major new construction and capital improvement projects. The Manager is an integral part of the design and construction team and reviews/tests all building systems including mechanical, electrical, and building systems, and coordinates training and project turnover with the Operations & Maintenance team.
- Oversees commissioning and inspection activities for new and renovated facilities. With the design team, reviews project documents to understand time frame, budget, and project goals/expectations, analyzes and determines how to optimize building performance, and develops functional criteria (scope documents) for new and renovated facilities. Participates in the selection of commissioning agents for proposed projects.
- Coordinates development of the commissioning plan, project startup, and turnover sequences. Creates and maintains commissioning and inspection related documents including: master specification, performance standards, standard functional testing and verification forms, construction protocols, inspection standards, testing protocols and commissioning safety plans. Implements procedures and monitors conformance. Plans and establishes schedules and coordinates timely correction of deficiencies. Coordinates testing, training, and warranty activities related to facilities construction/renovation.
- Reviews status reports prepared by commissioning staff and commissioning agents, and modifies schedules or plans. Reviews change orders related to commissioning systems. Prepares reports, including commissioning progress reports and the final commissioning report, for management.
- Oversees the inspection of new and renovated facilities to determine if the facilities adhere to construction project documents. Directs staff and participates in the visual inspection of construction projects and monitors construction progress. Verifies compliance with construction documents, codes, regulations, and established standards. Verifies that projects meet environmental, safety, structural, and aesthetic standards and provides technical advice on how to address construction problems.
- Supervises and manages the construction inspection staff. Develops workplans and assigns work to staff. Schedules inspection and commissioning related work. Coordinates with Project Managers. Attends design and construction project meetings. Provides periodic status reports on commissioning and inspection activities for individual projects and at the department level. Provides mentoring, training, and performance review for staff, and establishes, collects, and monitors performance metrics for the department.
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Structural, or Architectural Engineering.
Seven (7) years of experience working for some combination of: commissioning agent; field superintendent or engineer for a construction management firm or contractor with a heavy emphasis on complex mechanical systems; automatic temperature controls contractor; or mechanical/electrical consulting engineering firm.
Licensed Professional Engineer preferred.
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) accreditation preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
- Understanding of the application of architectural/engineering to facility design and constructability
- Understanding of building code, Title 24, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and LEED requirements for building design.
- Understanding of best practices in design and construction processes especially those related to centralized automation and control systems.
- Proficiency in the design, specification, installation, inspection, start-up, balancing, testing, operation, demonstration, metering and maintenance of building systems (i.e., mechanical, electrical, fire protection, plumbing, security and communication)
- Proficiency in evaluating proposals, design and construction modifications and change orders.
- Proficiency in continuously seeking to improve the quality of services and process improvements.
- Skill in prioritizing ongoing and new projects, as well as facilitating the completion of construction phases within tight time constraints.
- Skill in managing and supervising commissioning and inspection staff
- Skill in written and verbal communications.
- Skill in managing multiple tasks, technical issues, and contingencies simultaneously.
- Computer skills in relevant design and office applications, including AutoCAD, BIM, Revit, Microsoft Project and Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work with management to set and achieve goals based on priorities of projects and support of internal and external customers.
Closing Deadline: Open until filled
Original Posting Date: 9/26/2012
If accommodations are needed, contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-7171, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
University of Maryland, Baltimore - 17 months ago