TITLE: COMMODITY SPECIALIST
REPORTS TO: PLANNING & PURCHASING MANAGER
LOCATION: EDEN PRAIRIE, MN
This position is responsible for vendor and commodity management duties. Managing relationships with key domestic suppliers to ensure their pricing, processes, and capabilities meet Milestone standards and specifications. Managing commodities to be the voice of the supply base to our internal customers to provide manufacturability insight as well as costing insight on current design and future industry trends.
DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Vendor Management:
- Responsible for overall performance of suppliers in assigned commodities.
- Effectively manage supplier selection to meet commodity strategy, quality, service, cost, risk mitigation, and supplier capabilities requirements.
- Actively negotiate with suppliers to address quality, price, or service discrepancies.
- Work with suppliers to develop assured capacity and on-time deliveries to meet manufacturing schedules.
- Makes recommendations to improve productivity, quality, and efficiency of vendor operations.
- Ensures repeatable product quality from supply base.
- Analyze and evaluate quotations to assure that quality, capability and total cost are satisfactory.
- Drive the supply base to develop process improvements.
- Engage suppliers in the phase gate process to support new product development and product changes.
- Work with operations and manage overall supplier performance toward business goals.
- Provide support to purchasing for chronic performance issues related to quality and delivery.
- Commodity Management
- Develop and implement effective sourcing strategies through analysis of company specifications and requirements.
- Possesses a deep understanding and knowledge base of external commodity markets and potential market impacts to maximize cost opportunities.
- Develops and implements short-term and long-term commodity strategies to lower total cost of ownership.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of assigned commodities, global supply markets, and pricing trends.
- Acts independently to identify and develop supply chain improvement opportunities for given commodities.
- Leads and directs cross-functional sourcing projects.
- Provide recommendations of alternative materials or new processes, which may bring advantages of technological advancement to company's product designs.
- The ability to read and interpret blueprints
- Support design engineering in new product development including new material, new technologies, quoting and prototype orders.
- Understanding of general finance and make / buy analysis, plus the skill to analyze all costs associated with purchasing, material costs, and SG&A.
- Performs detailed supply market analysis – commodities, industries, and suppliers.
- Provide management with forecasts of market conditions, price trends and potential problem areas.
- Demonstrate our five core values of Integrity, Customer Responsiveness, Innovation, Passionate Contribution & Empowerment and Continuous Improvement
- Understand workplace hazards and take steps to proactively prevent and report hazards or injuries in the workplace. Cooperate in safety programs, initiatives, and investigations.
- Perform other duties deemed necessary to support the Company’s business operations
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
Minimum Education and Experience Required:
- Excellent interpersonal, oral presentation and written communication skills; p rofessional presence and behavior
- Bachelors Degree in Business Administration, Supply Chain Management, or relevant field required.
- Minimum 3-5 years commodity management experience in a progressive strategic sourcing environment.
- Specific commodities experience and an understanding of sheet metal, aluminum extrusions, castings, plastic molding techniques, tooling and processes.
- Experience in sourcing manufactured materials is critical to this position.
- Minimum 3-5 years of vendor management experience
- Knowledge of ISO requirements and Supplier Audits.
- Knowledge of Six Sigma, Lean, TQM and continuous improvement methodologies.
- Experience with PFMEA in a manufacturing environment.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Knowledge of materials requirement planning, inventory control techniques, value analysis, forecasting, production planning, cost/price analysis, use of standard costs, production processes (internal and at the suppliers), and markets impacting assigned products and planning.
- A bachelor's degree, preferably in related field such as Supply Management, Business Operations, etc.
- Project management skills.
Special Job Requirements:
- Bachelors degree in Business Operations, Supply Chain Management or other related technical degree with 5 years experience orcombination of relevant education and experience.
- Requires frequent availability and communication during non-standard business hours to communicate with global team members
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Strong analytical and PC skills including excellent working knowledge of MS Office Suite of Products.
- Familiarity with SAP
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required (for the majority of the working day) to sit and make coordinated movements of the fingers for data entry on a keyboard.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds
- General office environment
- May require regular ground travel to other company facilities
- Long-distance or air travel as needed – not to exceed 10% travel
Milestone AV Technologies - 10 months ago
Milestone AV Technologies, a Duchossois Group Company, is a leading global provider of innovative mounting and display solutions for various...