The Office of Emergency Management (OEM) seeks a Communications and New Media Specialist to oversee strategy, development, and production of a variety of OEM print and electronic communications projects, including the Ready New York emergency preparedness campaign. He or she will focus primarily on managing the OEM website and social media channels, including content creation, scheduling, and interactive features. He or she may also play a role in producing new and redesigned Ready New York promotional items and brochures, original advertising campaigns, and public presentations both in-house and through the use of outside consultants. The Communications Specialist will gather information from subject-matter experts, write and edit copy, review art and photography, oversee project budgets and timelines, and provide regular progress updates.
The Communications and New Media Specialist will publish and edit web content using Interwoven TeamSite, and he or she will oversee necessary redesigns to OEM’s and related web sites. He or she will also develop and publish content for the OEM Facebook page and Twitter account. He or she will work with the Communications unit to ensure all OEM documents and web content follow OEM style guidelines.
The selected candidate will be responsible for marketing various OEM programs, including Ready New York and Notify NYC, through web and social media platforms. The candidate will also collaborate with counterparts at other NYC agencies including 311, the Department of Information Technology & Telecommunications, NYC Digital, and NYC & Company, among others.
The Communications and New Media Specialist may also perform some basic print production projects independently using desktop publishing software and will work with outside design and printing vendors on more complex projects
The Communications and New Media Specialist will be expected to work non-business hours during emergencies and will be assigned to a periodic Emergency Operations Center team.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree from an approved college or university with 24 credits in English, journalism or public relations and two (2) years of satisfactory, full-time experience in public relations, journalism, or advertising; or
2. A satisfactory equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least two years of related work experience
- Familiarity with creative production processes
- Strong organizational, project management, communication, and writing skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and lead collaborative projects
- Excellent PC-based computer systems, including Microsoft Office
- Strong word-processing and desktop publishing skills
- Knowledge of HTML and social media platforms a plus
City employees apply via ESS
External applicants apply via NYCCareers
9 – 5/ M – F
165 Cadman Plaza East
Brooklyn, NY 11201
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
NYC Careers - 10 months ago
New York Career Institute provides a postsecondary educational experience designed to prepare students for productive careers in contemporar...