Communications & Media Relations Manager
Division/Department: City Managers Office
Salary: $55,000+DOE/Q per year
The Communications & Media Relations Manager position is a hands-on position that plays a vital role in a wide range of media, public relations and communications activities in a fast-paced environment. The position entails internal and external communications, media relations, social media, website content management and overseeing the City's education/government television channel. The successful candidate will be detail oriented, a skilled writer/editor and an effective communicator. She/He will also be: experienced in interacting with the media, a strategic thinker with the ability to simplify the complex, and one who embraces new technologies to further communication goals.
Responsibilities will include:
• Managing media relations; responding to media inquiries; preparing, reviewing and editing news releases, scripts and articles; identifying media opportunities; serving as primary media contact
• Drafting communications plans, statements, talking points and digital communications including tweets and Facebook posts
• Coordinating news conferences and special events, including serving as lead Public Information Officer during emergency/disaster events
• Managing the planning, coordination, and production of effective online communications content, using social media tools, video, audio, and multimedia
• Overseeing the City of Abilene's website, electronic publications, social media sites, internal communications, annual publications and other digital communication efforts
• Serving as communications consultant to various internal groups
• Managing the City's television channel and original programming.
A minimum of four (4) years experience managing public or private sector information and communication activities is preferred along with a Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university in journalism, mass communication, public relations, marketing or other related field.
A minimum of four (4) years experience managing public or private sector information and communication activities is preferred along with a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in journalism, mass communication, public relations, marketing or other related field.
Open Until Filled
City of Abilene - 15 months ago