The Communications and Outreach Intern will support the research, policy, advocacy, and communications processes of the Communications Department and will report to the Communications Officer. In this role, the intern will grow his/her knowledge of the major issues and challenges facing women around the world, of current events in the countries where WfWI works, and of the work being done in the policy and nonprofit worlds to address these issues. The intern will also gain an understanding of the Marketing and Communications functions of nonprofits, and learn how some of the opportunities are leveraged to achieve goals. Additional projects and assignments that complement the intern’s desired professional growth and the needs of the department may be developed.
- Assist the Communications Department with building internal database of research, current events, and analysis on the countries WfWI works in, as well as issues pertaining to women, peace, and security, and development.
- Review and synthesize key reports for use in WfWI communications.
- Maintain and update internal Communications Pipeline.
- Monitor current events and policy-related discussions pertaining to the work of WfWI, including monitoring social media discussions.
- Assist with research and draft outlines for talking points, policy briefs, and other written materials that promote WfWI programs
- Editing, proofreading, fact-checking, and assisting with departmental reports, website content, and publications as needed.
- Researching and reporting on various outreach and media opportunities.
- Attending policy-related panels, discussions, and events to help inform department of key issues and trends.
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong research and analytical skills, with an ability to synthesize various content into concise summary
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and exercise reasonable judgment
- Exceptional writing skills for a variety of different audiences
- Ability to work in changing environment and balance multiple deadlines
- A commitment to Women for Women International’s mission and vision
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong computer skills, including thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Interest and familiarity with issues related to gender and development, US and international policy/process, and/or communications
Women for Women International - 18 months ago