Application Deadline: April 5, 2013
Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Northern California (ACLU-NC) seeks applicants with communications savvy, strong writing skills, creativity and a passion for civil liberties issues to join the dynamic Communications team in our San Francisco office.
Job Description :
The Communications Associate will be part of the ACLU of Northern California’s five-person communications department. This position is an integral part of the, supporting substantive work on the range of ACLU-NC issue areas, with a wide range of duties in an office environment that is both fast-paced and collegial. This position reports to the Communications Director.
- Writing: Craft web content, blog posts, fact sheets, press releases, and other ACLU-NC written materials.
- Media Relations: Serve as the primary point of contact for incoming media requests for interviews with ACLU-NC spokespeople; manage media contact lists; monitor news coverage and distribute daily news summaries.
- Website/Email Action Network: Serve as a backup to Web Content Manager for posting content; craft, build and send emails to the ACLU-NC’s email network.
- Strategic Communications: Work with Communications Team to implement strategic communications plans
- Social media: Utilize Facebook, Twitter and other social media tools to engage current and new audiences, as well as to promote the work and perspectives of the organizations.
- Light administrative support work for the communications department.
- Other duties as assigned by the Communications Director.
- Strong support of the ACLU mission, and familiarity with civil rights and civil liberties issues
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects in a fast-paced environment with excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience maximizing new and social media for social change
- Minimum 1-2 years’ experience in non-profit organizations, social change work, grassroots organizing or campaigns.
- Experience with both PC and Mac, HTML, CSS, Photoshop and video editing preferred.
Salary based on experience. Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation; medical, vision and dental insurance for staff members and their dependents and spouses/domestic partners; life and long-term disability insurance; defined contribution plan with employer match; and thirteen paid holidays.
To apply :
Applications should email a resume and cover letter describing the applicant’s interest in the Communications Associate position to HR-Admin03@aclunc.org or mail the information to the attention of Communications Associate Search, ACLU of Northern California, 39 Drumm Street, San Francisco, CA 94111.
About the ACLU of Northern California :
As the largest regional affiliate of the ACLU, the ACLU-NC has legislative, legal, policy, organizing, communications and development departments, and uses these combined resources in pursuit of its strategic objectives.
The ACLU is a nationwide, non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to the defense and expansion of civil liberties and civil rights. The ACLU of Northern California (ACLU-NC) was founded in 1934. It is the largest ACLU affiliate in the nation, with over 53,000 members, 23 all-volunteer chapters and a staff of over 50, including a legislative office in Sacramento and a satellite office in Fresno.
The ACLU-NC is proud to be an affirmative action employer. All interested individuals, including people of color, women, persons with disabilities and persons who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or intersex are particularly urged to apply.
The philosopher Socrates once said, "I am that gadfly which God has given the state." While the American Civil Liberties Union...