Citizen Action of New York is a statewide grassroots membership organization that fights for social, racial, environmental and economic justice. We work at the grassroots to give people a sense of their own power. We collaborate with organizations and coalitions in communities throughout New York to win on key issues and elect progressive candidates at the local, state and federal levels. * *
Citizen Action of New York is seeking a Communications Associate to serve in our Albany office. The primary responsibilities of the Communications Associate include playing a key role in developing and executing the organization's communications strategies, including press relations and online organizing.
- Working with central staff to develop strong press strategies for the advancement of our issue and electoral campaigns
- Writing documents for press distribution, pitching stories to press
- Assisting central staff with research and writing projects
- Maintain portions of organization's website, including collecting and posting news clips, writing and posting event notices, and creating other content as necessary
- Be part of the social media team to develop a consistent stream of quality content for both membership and general public consumption. This includes writing daily blog material and frequent use of Facebook and Twitter.
- Help to develop and execute online organizing strategies and tactics, including online advocacy campaigns and fundraising
- Production of flyers, fact sheets, and other print materials to be used by our organizing staff to promote membership or issue campaigns
- Various administrative tasks, as necessary
An ideal candidate will have the following qualifications
- One year experience in political or non-profit communications
- Well versed in New York State politics
- Knowledge of and relationships with New York reporters and press outlets
- Strong computer skills
- Skills with website publishing and graphic design a plus
- Experience using Adobe design software, including Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator a plus
- Experience with Facebook and Twitter
- Experience with Facebook or other online advertising a plus
- Strong inter-personal skills
- Excellent writing skills, and the ability to write high quality content quickly
- Ability to manage a multitude of tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Commitment to progressive change and movement-building
- Willingness to work long or irregular hours, attend evening and weekend events, and travel, as necessary
This position is based in Albany, NY, and reports to the Communications Director.
Salary and benefits: Citizen Action of New York offers competitive salaries and a full benefits package.
Citizen Action of New York is an equal opportunity employer. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
idealist.org - 20 months ago