PLEASE NOTE: The application is the official document used to determine that the applicant meets minimum qualifications to be considered for the position. Therefore, the application must demonstrate the applicant meets all required qualifications.
Bachelor's degree with strong writing background and computer skills, or 4 years combined equivalent education and experience.
1) Excellent written and verbal communication skills; organized and resourceful.
2) Takes initiative, prioritizes, and meets deadlines.
3) The ability to solve problems, remain focused, and flexible.
4) Experience researching a wide variety of topics.
5) Experience establishing and maintaining relationships with a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders.
6) Experience producing multimedia content such as slideshows and promotional videos.
7) Experience using social media as public relations tool.
8) Experience working in a team to present high profile events and news.
9) Experience pitching stories and fulfilling media requests.
1) Researches information from a variety of sources and ensures accuracy and credibility of information; conducts interviews, meetings and appointments with students, faculty, staff and community members; initiates and develops story ideas; locates sources and determines appropriate writer and researcher within the External Affairs team; maintains a digital archive of pertinent daily news media coverage; organizes and manages public relations files and resource materials; prepares and maintains current public relations contact lists for media, government officials, community leaders and others.
2) Writes and disseminates news releases, newsletters, correspondence, fact sheets, talking points, etc.; prepares and updates centralized story ideas document for public relations and marketing; develops media contacts and serves as an information source for reporters; prepares/gathers and disseminates informational materials for news conferences and other meetings; uses UMD's social media platforms to share information and engage in dialogue with stakeholders; proofreads materials for correct spelling, grammar and sentence structure.
3) Assists the director with the planning and implementation of projects, programs, and events; assists the director in situations of important public issues and special circumstances; serves as an effective member of the External Affairs team; performs other work-related duties, as assigned; promotes a non-discriminatory environment and avoids discriminatory behavior; conscientious about workplace safety and uses appropriate work methods and equipment.
This position reports to the Director of External Affairs and works closely with all members of the External Affairs department.
Selection Criteria includes the ability to write/explain complex material in a clear, concise manner; ability to use a variety of resources to research information; accuracy of work and attention to detail; excellent verbal and written communication skills; computer and web literacy; ability to interact collaboratively with diverse constituencies; demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously and successfully; demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines; ability to organize and manage large amounts of information.
Please click on link at bottom of page to apply.
***In order for your application to be complete, you MUST attach a cover letter and a resume to this online application along with three references with contact information.
***FINAL JOB OFFER CONTINGENT UPON PASSING COMPLETE BACKGROUND CHECK***
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the University of Minnesota Disability Specialist at 218-726-7725.
***Smoking is prohibited on all UMD property. The smoking ban includes indoor facilities and the campus grounds, as well as all University vehicles***
Individuals from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
The University of Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer.
Does this position require a background check?