Founded in 1968, the Urban Institute offers independent, rigorous analysis and evidence-based solutions to inform policymakers and the public about the challenges and opportunities confronting vulnerable populations. The Institute recently launched a comprehensive organizational initiative to increase its visibility and impact. To support this work, the Urban Institute is seeking a junior-level Analytics and Administrative Assistant to support the entire Strategic Communications and Outreach team. This is a new position designed to enhance the Institute’s ability to measure its impact and track its progress against goals. The right candidate will be a highly organized, detail-oriented self-starter. S/he should be entrepreneurial, flexible, adept at handling multiple assignments, and eager to grow and learn.
This position reports to the Public Affairs and Publications managers. S/he will work closely with the Public Affairs, Publications, and Web teams.
- Gathering and organizing communication data, and measuring and reporting on the reach and impact of the Institute’s varied communications activities and initiatives, encompassing traditional, web, and social media and events;
- Compiling, distributing, and tracking daily press coverage using the Vocus media management tool;
- Assisting in the selection of a database to measure social media impact and managing the implementation of that system;
- Creating, maintaining, and expanding targeted distribution lists for traditional and social media;
- Developing and maintaining an editorial calendar;
- Maintaining the Institute’s databases of academic journals and subscriptions and updating the library’s intranet page;
- Distributing news releases and similar communications;
- Distributing invitations for events, managing RSVPs, and handling event logistics;
- Coordinating event webcasts, including directing the broadcast cameras;
- Managing Urban Institute Press mailings and marketing activities.
Only those major job duties necessary for proper job evaluation and/or labor market analysis have been included. Other duties may be assigned by the supervisor.
- B.A. or B.S. in communications, journalism, media studies, English, or a related field is required, and an interest in public policy is preferred.
- 1-2 years of experience in communications or public affairs, preferably at a policy-related organization, academic institution, a nonprofit, or news entity
- Experience organizing data and working in databases
- Strong attention to detail and track record in task management
- Strong writing skills
- Proficiency with all Microsoft Office applications
The Urban Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/H. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply.