The Vera Institute of Justice is an independent nonprofit organization that combines expertise in research, demonstration projects, and technical assistance to help leaders in government and civil society improve the systems people rely on for safety and justice. The Institute has offices in New York City, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and New Orleans and is active across the United States and internationally. Vera ’s work seeks to advance systemic reform and innovation in a range of fields including, but not limited to, juvenile justice, sentencing and corrections, immigration, and victimization. For more information about Vera visit www.vera.org or see our page on Facebook. |
The Communications Department is responsible for all of the Institute ’s external communication efforts, including producing publications and audio and video podcasts, maintaining the Institute ’s web presence via its website and social media outlets, developing communications campaigns that raise Vera ’s visibility and public dialogue around its issues, and interacting with the media. The Communications staff also works closely with the Development Department and key staff to plan events and coordinate internal communications.
This early career position is ideal for well-informed and socially committed candidates who are eager to make a contribution as part of a dynamic, full-service communications team.
The coordinator will report to the communications director and work collaboratively with other communication staff to support and strengthen the communications effort at Vera. He/she will gain experience with all aspects of communications and be responsible for assuming a variety of administrative, editorial, and support tasks. Core tasks include:
- Copyediting reports, email blasts, portions of the website, and other public materials;
- Maintaining and updating the Institute ’s media contact database;
- Managing e-mail campaigns and eNewsletter processes
- Monitoring and posting to Vera ’s social media outlets;
- Providing design support for Vera publications;
- Providing production support for Vera audio and video products;
- Fielding inquires from media and the public;
- Monitoring news relevant to Vera ’s work;
- Producing regular internal communications;
- Maintaining and updating sections of Institute ’s intranet;
- Providing support on event planning; and
- Performing other administrative and support tasks as required.
Vera seeks a candidate with the following qualities and skills:
- College degree;
- Strong writing and editing ability;
- Communications, public affairs, social media, or journalism experience;
- Highly computer and Internet literate;
- Strong organizational skills and reliable attention to detail;
- Experienced with PC platform, Microsoft Office programs, and database management;
- Familiarity with the following a plus:
- Video recording and editing software
- Adobe Photoshop
- Social media monitoring and email tools
- Interest in criminal and social justice issues.
Upper thirties, based on experience. Excellent benefits.
Please submit cover letter and resume. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, applications received by March 20, 2013 will be given preference. No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Online submission is preferred.
However, if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to
ATTN: Human Resources / Communications Coordinator Recruitment
Vera Institute of Justice
233 Broadway, 12th Flr.
New York, NY 10279
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method of submission (online, mail or fax).
The Vera Institute of Justice values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about Vera, please visit our website, www.vera.org.