COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR, OCEANS PROGRAM
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
EDF’s Oceans Program aims to reform fisheries management worldwide to restore the world’s oceans to abundance. The Director of Communications will be the program’s chief communications strategist and manager, using marketing and communications tools to achieve our ambitious vision.
The Director will oversee media strategy and outreach, online engagement, website and blog strategy, speaking engagements, thought leadership activities, events and collateral development as related to EDF's work. This position requires an understanding of and keen interest in ocean and fishery conservation issues, as well as an ability to manage multiple projects at once.
The Director will report to EDF’s Senior Vice President for Strategy and Communications and coordinate closely with the Senior Campaign Director, Oceans. She or he will manage a team of professionals who support our communications strategy and activity.
- Develop, implement and oversee communications strategies and tactics that advance the program’s goals including media outreach, social media, online communications and collateral development
- Manage a team to help achieve strong communications results through various channels (media, online, blog, speaking engagements, etc.
- Leads development of messaging to be used by the program staff and conceives integrated issue-marketing campaigns using cross-disciplinary communication and outreach channels for maximum effectiveness
- Manage PR/communications agency support, including developing RFPs, assessing agency expertise, and managing agency teams for excellent results
- Plan and execute events such as press conferences and in-person meetings with media and other influentials
- Create, edit and proofread written, online and video materials under intense deadline pressure
- Maintain online and traditional media relations and maintain regular contact and strong relationships with targeted reporters
- Oversee all social media elements including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Bring communications expertise to the program and influence the program’s direction and goals
- Help to prepare program staff with training and advice for communications opportunities
- Prepare summaries and analyses of media coverage on a monthly basis
- Develop and manage relationships with other NGOs and firms engaged in the ocean conservation sustainability space to ensure cross-pollination of ideas and strategies
- Track and share metrics around the communications traction of EDF's work in ocean conservation and catch shares.
- Minimum 5 years marketing communications experience, preferably in a political or issue advocacy context, environmental media experience is a plus
- Proven ability to use communications as a tool to achieve policy goals
- Strong team management and mentoring skills
- Superb marketing strategy, writing, editing and communications skills
- Experience pitching and developing strong relationships with top tier media; familiarity with environmental media a plus
- Experience managing a blog, including blog promotion strategy and implementation and/or online community-building
- Experience providing creative communications support and strategy to multiple internal project teams simultaneously
- Ability to strategize and implement communications projects across multiple platforms for maximum impact in the environmental and business space
- Track record of producing national and regional media coverage
- Experience building a public platform for leaders within a company or organization
- Experience hiring and managing communications consultants/agency support
- Strong presentation skills
- Budgeting and strategic planning skills
This position will be located in Washington, DC
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Environmental Defense Fund - 2 years ago