BASIC FUNCTION: The basic function of this position is to analyze, design and deliver communications solutions, using specialized technical knowledge, and to ensure that services are delivered on time and within budget. Additionally, the incumbent will maintain communications services, troubleshoot issues that arise, and provide advanced technical support to the organization and its customers. This position works independently or as a member of a team to develop and implement advanced voice, data, or video communications solutions based on dynamic business needs. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
1. Ability to communicate effectively in both verbal and written formats. This includes interacting with company personnel, customers, vendors, and other third parties via telephone, e-mail, and face to face meetings.
2. Ability to utilize personal computer and other basic office equipment.
3. Availability to respond on an on-call basis 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
4. Ability to lift/move up to 50 pounds.
5. Ability to utilize a ladder for the purpose of accessing cabling in the ceiling.
6. Ability to utilize electronic test equipment to analyze and facilitate expeditious repair to communications equipment.
7. Availability to travel by automobile, airplane, train, etc.
1. Remain current on new advances in the communications field through product briefings, trade shows, conferences and seminars, professional groups, trade publications, and personal contacts. Identify applications for new technological advances and provide recommendations for the implementation of these solutions.
2. Provide communications needs assessments including network analysis, solution design, vendor research and comparison, Requests for Proposals, and development of written project plans. Coordinate vendor resources in the design, development, and implementation of new communications solutions.
3. Provide leadership, guidance, and mentoring to junior staff. The Senior Communications Engineer is expected to mentor and help develop junior staff in order to strengthen the team's skillsets.
4. Provide long-range strategic communications design and development of new products and services for the company and its' customers. This includes design and architecture, testing, implementation, documentation, training, and turnover to operational teams for ongoing support.
5. Provide technical communications consulting services to the company's customers, both via telephone and onsite at the customer's facility. This includes advanced communications design and architecture across multiple platforms, some of which may be unfamiliar to the incumbent. This will require a self-directed, fast learner in order to be able to assist customers in implementing efficient communications systems.
6. Develop and maintain proper documentation for all new communications configurations and changes, following established change management procedures.
7. Provide for high availability of communications solutions for the company and its customers. This includes design, implementation, documentation, and continuous support of a business continuation plan in the event of a catastrophic occurrence affecting service to the company or its customers. The Senior Communications Engineer will hold primary responsibility for documenting and testing the BCP plan for the company's communications systems.
8. Participate in annual budget analysis and planning, providing input to the Communications management team on required technology needs. This includes both capital purchases as well as operating expenses like maintenance and telecommunications circuit costs.
9. Perform other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
1. Bachelors' Degree in Information Technology, Communications, or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
2. One or more industry recognized engineering certifications required; (Cisco, Nortel, Avaya, or related).
1. Minimum twelve (12) years of experience in Information Technology operating in a telephony/communications environment required. Incumbent should have experience with both traditional TDM and Voice over IP telephony systems, and the following communications technologies: Ethernet, Frame Relay, MPLS, serial and packet-based transports, ISDN, TCP/IP, SNMP, Voice over IP (VoIP), Multiplexing, Long Distance, PBX, ACD, Digital and VoIP Handsets, SIP Trunking, VPN, Unified Communications, Quality of Service (QOS), etc.
2. Preferred experience includes Nortel/Avaya telephony hardware and software, including Symposium, CCT/CTI, CRQM (Call Recording), Call Pilot (Voicemail), InfoTel (Call Accounting), Aspect Dialer, Digital Signage. Other vendor experience will be considered as well.
Since 1977, PSCU has been a leading provider of traditional and online financial services to credit unions. Today, we represent more than...