PSI seeks candidates for the position of Communications Intern to support the Corporate Marketing, Communications and Advocacy (CMCA) Department in its role of telling the story of PSI. The intern will support the production and distribution of Impact, the quarterly magazine of PSI, and assist with our online engagement efforts across social media channels, website, and fundraising platform. The position offers an opportunity for focused professional growth in print and online communications as part of a dynamic, creative and progressive team.
This internship position is based in Washington, D.C. and reports to the Communications Manager. This is a paid position for 40hrs/week.
The Communications Intern will work on the following two specialized projects.
1. Pre-production: Contribute at editorial meetings, and conduct research on each issue's theme, contributors, and appropriate/innovative design concepts.
2. Production: Find photos, write captions, draft headlines, edit articles, and coordinate the copy editing process. There will be opportunities to write articles as well.
3. Online Impact:
a. Create online version of Impact on a WordPress site, including manipulating images and copy to optimize online readership.
b. Draft and design email on an html platform to announce launch of Impact.
a. Distribute Impacts to PSI headquarters staff, country offices and VIP contacts.
b. Thank you notes: Draft, prepare and mail thank you cards to contributors.
5. Update and improve the Impact mailing list by conducting ongoing research to add new strategic contacts.
6. Identify potential advertizing and awards opportunities and publications grants.
1. Create engaging social media posts for PSI executives and celebrity Ambassadors for world health days, fundraising campaigns, conferences, and events.
2. Identify and cultivate relationships with engaged Twitter followers and Facebook fans to promote PSI.
3. Update main pages on PSI's website, built on Drupal, to maintain accuracy and timeliness of content.
4. Create pages on PSI's website and online fundraising platform for world health days, fundraising campaigns, conferences and events. There will be opportunities to draft content as well.
5. Maintain and update contacts database on online fundraising platform.
General administrative duties including managing, updating and compiling press kits; and organizing and maintaining PSI's media library of photographs and videos.
Job Description - Requirements
• Recent graduate with professional experience in print and online communications.
• Past professional experience and proficiency in using social media, especially Facebook, Twitter and blogs.
• Keen understanding of social media landscape and key players. Passionate about developing an expertise in social media.
• Photoshop and InDesign experience a plus.
• WordPress and html experience a plus.
• Drupal experience a plus.
• Ability to work independently, manage varied and large workload, and meet deadlines.
• Experience working in a fast-paced office environment.
• Superior attention to detail and organizational skills.
• Self-starter, independent learner.
• Excellent writing, communication skills.
• Advanced computer skills (MS Office application, including Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
Please send a letter of interest, resume and available start date to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Communications Intern" in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
No phone calls please.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals
regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.
PSI is a non-profit organization that applies commercial tools to a social mission in order to achieve measurable health impact. Since 1970,...