With community outreach, public engagement, and public education as the foundation of their work, the team is focused on developing and implementing strategic communication and marketing plans to support agency projects, programs and services. Examples of current and upcoming efforts include public outreach for the I-805 project, and Trolley Renewal, the SR 125 South Bay Expressway, the SD SAFE program, and iCommute, in addition to a variety of regional planning efforts, project-related community outreach, and special events.
With the guidance and mentoring of senior staff, this position will provide a hands-on learning experience in program administration, public outreach, and marketing. Examples of intern responsibilities include:
- Contribute as a team member to the development and implementation of outreach and marketing strategies for agency projects, programs and services; participate in meetings and liaise with project partners; and assist with coordinating activities.
- Assist with researching, writing, and editing newsletters, news releases, fact sheets, advertorials, opinion pieces, print/broadcast advertising, and other collateral materials.
- Assist with planning and organizing a variety of media, promotional, and special events including groundbreaking and ribbon cutting ceremonies, public workshops, and outreach events.
- Assist with the review and development of agency websites and project information webpages.
- Assist with procurements, invoice payments, and related accounting tasks.
- Provide support for the Public Information Office; maintain and develop media contact lists; and maintain the publications library.
- Collect, compile, and maintain information required for regional public outreach initiatives.
- Respond to requests for information from the public or other interested parties.
SANDAG employees are known for their commitment to excellence and passion for the work they do. We look for the same qualities in interns. To be most successful in this position, our ideal candidate would have the following education, experience, and attributes:
- Graduate or undergraduate level coursework in journalism, communications, marketing, planning, or a related field.
- Knowledge of effective communication techniques and marketing strategies.
- Ability to independently complete complex assignments that involve researching, analyzing, and synthesizing information into written summaries, reports, or recommendations.
- Advanced computer skills with MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, and Internet research.
- Ability to communicate with various audiences using exceptional interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to multitask and work on several projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated flexibility and willingness to perform a variety of tasks typical of an entry-level communications position.
Program, Pay, and Perks
This internship is offered as a one-year position, working approximately 20 to 25 hours per week. The work is primarily performed during SANDAGs normal business hours and, from time to time, may involve evenings and weekends; a specific schedule would be worked out between the intern and manager.
Interns are paid $13.50 per hour and are provided with several perks such as pro-rated holiday pay, a regional transit pass, Transportation Demand Management (TDM) incentives, and an Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
How to Apply
We encourage all interested candidates to apply for this internship by sending us a completed Employment Application along with a recent two-to-three page writing sample. A cover letter describing how this internship would contribute to your career goals in the communications/marketing field is highly desirable.
The application form can be downloaded from the Careers section of the SANDAG website. Once completed, your application and writing sample can be emailed to email@example.com or sent to SANDAG, Attn: Human Resources, 401 B Street, Suite 800, San Diego, CA 92101.
Apply immediately. We are accepting applications on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. The first review of applications will begin on Friday, April 12, 2013. The internship is expected to start in May 2013.
Any questions regarding this internship or application procedures can be referred to Cristen Powell, Human Resources Analyst, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (619) 595-5379.
SANDAG is an Equal Opportunity Employer
San Diego Association of Governments - 17 months ago
copy to clipboard -
The San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) is comprised of 18 city and county governments which serve as a forum for regional...