Common Sense Media is the leading independent, non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of kids and families by providing the information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in a world of media and technology. We are thriving and you’ll kick yourself if you don’t submit your resume!
The Communications department intern will be responsible for assisting the Communications department with general media relations duties and short-term administrative projects, and will function as part of a corporate-level communications team focusing on national press outreach. The intern will work 16-24 hours a week and will report to the Communications Coordinator.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RESUME:
- Maintain press contacts database and manage distribution of press materials using Vocus PR system. Includes adding/deleting contacts, entering activities/notes/projects for contacts, segmenting/building lists for specific projects, etc.
- Compile and distribute the “Daily Digest”
- Assist Communications Coordinator with the monthly internal newsletter
- Help draft press releases and other communications vehicles as needed.
- Track and capture media placements in print, television, radio, and web outlets, using various video/audio capture programs.
- Provide research support for special projects.
- Help maintain the press room on the website. Includes posting press releases and news items.
- Other administrative duties as necessary.
THE “X” FACTOR – YOU ARE:
- Currently working to complete an undergraduate degree in public relations, journalism, communications, or media studies preferred.
- Prior internship/work experience with a PR firm or corporate communications department a plus.
- Knowledge of media management software (Vocus, Cision, Burrells Luce) a plus.
- Detail-oriented and strong follow-through
- Strong teamwork skills; cooperative working style
- Flexible and responsive; able to perform in a dynamic work environment
- Enthusiastic, can-do attitude
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Upbeat and have an authentic “can do” attitude
- Calm when meeting tough deadline
- Highly organized
- Open to learning
- Dependable with a strong sense of urgency
- Passionate about the CSM mission.
- A chance to work with talented, passionate professionals
- An organization that offers work/lifestyle balance
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids this generation and the next!
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com Please note that you are interested in the Communications intern position in the subject line of your email. For more information about Common Sense Media, visit www.commonsense.org