Acts on the authority of the Head of US Communications to oversee strategic projects and provides executive project oversight. The scope of these projects is broad, covering all communications functions (Internal and External / Reputation) for the US.
• Provides subject matter expertise, planning and strategic guidance to the US communications functions to ensure smooth day-to-day operations.
• Engages with stakeholders in GPA and FIA to ensure delivery of coordinated activities across BP America.
• Maintains the pulse of the organization, providing input and advice to senior staff. Acts as a liaison for matters of importance on behalf of the Head of US Communications.
• Establish and maintains liaison roles with other communications professionals and departments to leverage and align internal and external and internal messaging.
• Participates in the development of strategic plans, gauges progress and keeps teams on track to completion.
• Facilitates the process of selection, prioritization, implementation and monitoring of internal and external resources. Primary negotiator of services.
• Provides primary coordination with communications unit directors/managers to ensure follow-through on critical external and internal decisions.
• Provides ad-hoc analysis and decision support.
• Disseminates information and communicates ideas on behalf of the Head of US Communications.
• Deals with issues that require sensitivity, discretion and careful judgment.
Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field
Essential experience and job requirements
10 years communications experience supporting a large organization
• Project management and management skills.
• Understands the nexus between politics, government and business.
• Understands the 24/7 news cycle, media needs and deadlines.
• Proven organizational and multi-tasking skills. Accustomed to coordinating multiple activities effectively with ability to remain flexible under changing priorities. Aptitude to anticipate changing demands and reprioritize
• Ability to lead quietly, without having to utilize authority to effect change
• Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal communication skills and professional presence. Displays a constant, even-tempered manner.
• Systems savvy, including Microsoft Office suite
• Excellent analytical skills
• Ability to interface with all levels of the organization, including executives
• Confident self-starter with the ability to exercise sound independent judgment and proactively meet the demands of the business
• Highly professional demeanour and the ability to effectively communicate with individuals at various organizational levels both within BP and with third parties
Other essential skills and knowledge
• Consistently meets high standard of quality, performance and productivity produces desired results in a timely and highly proficient manner without supervision
• Team player in immediate work group as well as across the organization
• Demonstrates absolute discretion in handling confidential data
• Seeks additional responsibilities and uses innovation to improve job knowledge and procedures
• Legally authorized to work in the United States
Desirable criteria & qualifications
• Oil & gas industry experience
• Political organization experience
• Well-developed network and resource base
• Enjoys and has the capability for working with a global and diverse organization
BP - 14 months ago
BP p.l.c. (BP) is an oil company, operating through its subsidiaries. With effect from January 1, 2008, it operated in two business...