The Communications Manager is an integral member of CPM; s/he is responsible for bringing CPM, critical pharmaceutical systems and services as well as public health technical content issues to the forefront of MSHers and domestic and international professional, government, and donor audiences. Working under the supervision of the Director of Knowledge Exchange, as well as in collaboration with other centers’ Communication Managers and the Office of Strategic Development and Communications (SDC), s/he provides leadership for the development and implementation of CPMs’ communications plans and strategy. An excellent writer and communications professional, the Communication Manager will serve an important role in providing both writing and communications support to the Center, its field projects and to the MSH Corporate Office of Communications. He/she is responsible for day-to-day communications support, including the development of promotional and written materials, supporting the Center’s presence at conferences and meetings, social media and web updates and general writing and communications support to the field projects. S/he will also be responsible for managing the dissemination and distribution process for CPM publications. The Communication Manager will have overall responsibility for building the CPM internal communications capacity across projects by furthering communication standards, guidelines, and processes while proactively reaching out to and supporting the Vice President, Center Directors, and field teams. The CPM Communications Manager works under the supervision of the Director for Knowledge Exchange and in close collaboration with the Senior Managing Editor.
Communications Support to CPM
- Manage CPM communications : Manage the preparation, implementation and dissemination of all CPM communication strategies, plans, and activities in coordination with approaches to knowledge exchange and organizational learning. This includes fact sheets, success stories, publications, press releases, press briefings, op-ed articles, letters to the editor, etc. Provide training to CPM members on media relations; work to increase media coverage and attention for CPMs’ work. Manage overflow work by liaising with the CPM editorial team and SDC communications staff for additional services (writing, copyediting, design, proofreading, and production). Provide alerts and updates to the Corporate Communications team on new initiatives, project wins, etc., that are integral to the success of MSH. Develop communications-related home office support budget estimates and develop branding and marking plans for bids on projects that would be housed in CPM.
- Writing and editing : Under the direction of the Director of Knowledge Exchange, contribute to the development of communication products for both internal and external audiences, such as e-correspondence, fact sheets, e-newsletter stories, proposals, field reports, success stories and Annual Reports. Responsibilities include researching, drafting select text, copyediting and text formatting.
- CPM publications and social media : Manage distribution/mailing of CPM materials in hard copy and online; coordinate with the CPM Senior Managing Editor and MSH Senior Library Manager to maintain a system of digital and appropriate hard copy files for all publications and project communications. Publish content to blogs, wikis, Facebook and twitter with technical support from the editorial team as needed.
- Conference administration: Coordinate & manage CPMs’ participation in major conferences such as the Global Health Council, the International AIDS Conference, and APHA. Handle all correspondence, announcements and oversee logistics.
Communications Support to Field Projects
- Mentor communications staff in the field with writing and technical assistance to strengthen local initiatives.
- Provide appropriate levels of support (as defined by needs and resources) for select priority projects, and respond to other strategic and tactical requests from other field projects. Support includes, but is not limited to: developing strategic communications programs and/or work plans, writing and editing (technical documents, success stories, collateral material, etc.), and providing guidance on branding and content development. May require travel to the field to document field activities, utilizing a variety of communications tools, including photography, success stories, technical reports, and other print and electronic media.
- Liaise with SDC and Results Management team to update and adapt standards, policies, tools, etc., for field communications.
- Working closely with the Director of Knowledge Exchange and Vice President on executive communications, and oversee the development and implementation of messaging, strategies, and mechanisms for internal communications.
Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Master Degree in journalism, communications, public health, or other related discipline or equivalent relevant experience.
Journalism or public relations experience.
Self-starter who is able to work independently.
Expert writing and editing skills.
Fluency in English required with ability to write, deliver presentations, and conduct business in English.
Organized with good multi-tasking capabilities.
Excellent inter-personal skills.
Prior experience working with international public health, development programs and USAID helpful.
Results-oriented, resourceful and ability to address tasks positively.
Computer skills essential; proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required. Experience with WordPress, Facebook, Twitter and MS Access a plus. Microsoft Office applications preferred.
Foreign language skills in French, Spanish, very helpful
Ability to travel overseas, if/as needed (approximately 10%)
Management Sciences for Health - 14 months ago