Communications Manager Job Description
Local education nonprofit MeckEd is seeking a communications manager to effectively brand the organization and communicate the organization’s mission and program of work through management of the MeckEd website, social media pages, email marketing, media relations, and general marketing initiatives.
1. Manage MeckEd website
a. Update site content on a daily/weekly basis (as needed)
b. Maintain/update site design when necessary
c. Manage MeckEd blog
d. Track website analytics, and increase engagement
2. Manage Social Media Pages
a. Consistently update MeckEd Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn pages with relevant, shareable content appropriate for each particular medium.
b. Increase fans, followers, and overall community engagement
3. Create and Distribute MeckEd Weekly Education e-Newsletter
a. Stay up-to-date on local, state, and national education news and compile news articles on a weekly basis
b. Write/edit content, and layout e-Newsletter
c. Maintain e-Newsletter mailing list, and seek to increase readership/engagement
d. Solicit editorials and blog posts from the community
4. Build and Maintain Relationships with Local Media
a. Pitch stories to local media to increase MeckEd’s awareness in the community and media presence
b. Promote MeckEd events and initiatives through press releases and media alerts
c. Serve as MeckEd spokesperson when needed
5. Develop Communication/Marketing Plans for MeckEd Events and Initiatives
a. Develop print and electronic promotional materials and event materials
b. Determine strategic plan to promote MeckEd events and initiatives
c. Take/edit photos, record video, capture testimonials, live tweet events
d. Develop PowerPoint presentations
6. Measure Analytics
a. Record weekly and monthly statistics for website, e-Newsletter, and social media pages as well as community presentations and media appearances to measure impact and set goals to increase engagement and overall effectiveness
- Strong writing and editing skills (MeckEd follows AP Style)
- Graphic/web design experience
- Proficient in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Experience with social media management (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn)
- Basic Photography and photo editing skills
- Ability to shoot and edit video using a basic camera and video editing software
- Basic knowledge of WordPress.org/Wordpress.com and HTML/CSS
- Experience with Vertical Response (or similar email marketing platform) is preferred
- Public relations and media experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, Graphic Design, Marketing, Public Relations, or related field
- 2-3 years professional experience
- Education background is preferred, but not required
MeckEd will offer a competitive compensation package, comparable to other nonprofits in Mecklenburg County.
The communications manager will be required to follow local, state, and national education news and should have a passion for K-12 public education in Charlotte-Mecklenburg.This individual will work closely with the development director to increase donor engagement and secure photography, videography, and print vendors for MeckEd events. This position will also work with the MeckEd Career Pathways Advisors to effectively communicate the progress and results of the Career Pathways Program. This position reports to the executive director and will serve as the communications/marketing staff liaison to the MeckEd Board of Directors and any related board committees. This position will be in a Mac-based environment but will also require a working knowledge of Windows.
MeckEd is an independent, nonpartisan nonprofit and champion for excellent public education for all children in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS). MeckEd was created in 2006 as a result of a merger of four nonprofit, educational entities in Mecklenburg County. As a trusted source of information for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg community, CMS leadership, and the CMS Board of Education, MeckEd recognizes a well-informed and engaged community is essential to a public education system that graduates students who are college- and career-ready. MeckEd connects parents, teachers, CMS, civic and faith-based organizations, community leaders, businesses, and other stakeholders in support of public education.
MeckEd’s mission is to inform and engage the community around the critical issues facing public education and to ensure students graduate high school college- or career-ready.
To apply, send your resume, cover letter, design and writing samples or online portfolio (PDFs and links are fine), and three references.
MeckEd is an equal opportunity employer and does discriminate based on age, sex, race, or religion.