Responsible for developing, implementing and managing a comprehensive strategic communications program that supports internal communication, public outreach, donor development, media relations and social media activities for Mental Health Partners and the Foundation. Ensures continuity and consistency of communications messaging that supports MHP mission, vision, values and strategic priorities.
Strategy & Leadership
• Collaborates with executive staff to develop key messaging strategies and identify priority audiences.
• Collaborates with fund development and business development/marketing teams to ensure coordination of business development, fundraising, outreach and public awareness strategies.
Communication - External
• Provides editorial direction, creates content and manages design, production and timely delivery of corporate communications in all formats (electronic and print) including annual reports, newsletters, position papers, public statements, news releases, reports, brochures and fundraising materials.
• Creates and maintains repository of communications materials for use by other internal stakeholders.
• Develops and implements assessment and evaluation strategies to determine communications needs and measure outcomes.
Communication – Internal
• Collaborates with human resources team and executive staff to identify priorities and ensure coordination of internal communications strategies.
• Collaborates with identified internal stakeholders to develop, assemble and produce regular internal communications, including newsletters, announcements, presentations, town hall meetings, etc.
• Develops and maintains relationships with media contacts at local and regional media outlets to secure MHP as expert resource for reporting on mental health issues; develops compelling story angles and pitches stories.
• Develops media relations policy and practices; provides media training for executive staff and other identified spokespersons.
• Develops, maintains and distributes media kit with relevant organizational information.
• Maintains accurate record and repository of media placements.
Web Site & Electronic Media
• Develops, publishes and manages web content related to public information and outreach, fundraising, Foundation and media relations.
• Develops, coordinates and implements social media strategy in the context of overall
• communications program.
• Develops and maintains relationships with professional communications peers at partner organizations to maximize existing communication mediums and venues, and to foster systematic exchange of information.
• Identifies and arranges opportunities for MHP to participate in targeted meetings, forums and other venues to increase public awareness of services, programs and initiatives; represents MHP as required.
• Develops and manages annual schedule for public outreach and engagement activities.
• Supervises any communications contractors, volunteers or staff.
Skills / Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field required; advanced degree preferred.
• At least 8 years of progressively responsible professional experience in communications, public relations or development, including evidence of successful strategic communication planning and implementation.
• Documented evidence of extensive writing and editing experience with a variety of print and online communications media.
• Combination of communications, web content management and social media in both education and work experience strongly preferred.
• Previous experience in corporate or nonprofit communications required.
• Strong proficiency in current communications technologies, including content management systems, web development and graphic design applications.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrated understanding of philanthropy and strong interest in mental health preferred.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Aptitude for producing strategic, high-level communications aimed at strengthening affiliations between constituents and an organization.
• Proven ability to produce and deliver time-sensitive communication accurately and efficiently.
• Ability to accurately prioritize and organize workload to meet timelines, targets and schedules.
• Excellent interpersonal, collaboration, and customer service skills.
• Demonstrated proficiency using evidence-based methods to determine effectiveness of communications strategies.
• Demonstrated proficiency using a content management system to create and manage web-based communications (Kentico preferred).
• Demonstrated proficiency using Photoshop, InDesign, and Microsoft Office applications.
• Demonstrated proficiency in social media monitoring, analysis and engagement.
• Optimistic, positive self-starter who works well independently and as part of a team.
MHP APPLICATION AND BACKGROUND CHECK WILL BE REQUIRED
Mental Health Partners - 21 months ago